Examples of enduring good design?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Hook Norton beer...

beer_in_glasses_large.jpg

Ever seen where they make it - good isn't it?

hooknbrew.jpg

Fnaar said:
Ugly ugly ugly... I hate the south bank complex...it's horrible! And no, it isn't just buildings... I tried to move it into haircuts a few pages back...

The South Bank is lovely! Brutal maybe, but enduring. It will stay as an example of its time. (I liked the kinetic light sculpture on top of the Hayward that was governed by wind speed...)

Haircuts are no good - they're just transitional. Hair one day and goon the next!

Enduring design. What about the tea bag? I was thinking about this and had the PG Tips 'pyramid' down as a bit of a mis-glue in the bag making production line, giving birth accidentaly to this new, wonderbag.
Apparently not so. It was the product of brainstorming and enables water to permeate quicker blah blah. Don't believe it but this bag is the eigth wonder of the world.:smile:
800px-tea_bags.jpg

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Aperitif said:
The South Bank is lovely! Brutal maybe, but enduring.
Enduring only because of the cost of blowing it up and building something attractive in its place. :-)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Aperitif said:
...this bag is the eigth wonder of the world.:smile:
800px-tea_bags.jpg

Nope - not when the tags fall into the teapot and the tea ends up tasting of cardboard. I'll grant you these are good for bag-in-a-cup brewing up when you only get given those wooden sticks to stir with, instead of a teaspoon (grrr...)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the Hughes aircraft wasn't particularly enduring

- and I'm going to be a bit picky and point out that Concorde was a commercial failure from the word go, was hugely innefficient, and ended up being grounded after a terrible accident. Likewise the Landrover pick-up version was usesless, and the combination of aluminium bodywork and steel chassis wasn't particularly enduring - which part of the reason why the world now drives Nissan workvehicles.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The Hourglass Figure :smile: (here = Sophia Loren, but also see Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, perhaps Diana Dors (from the neck down) and that woman who works down the corridor from me :smile:

Sophia+Loren3.jpg

Ben Lovejoy said:
Enduring only because of the cost of blowing it up and building something attractive in its place. :-)

I had you down as 'cool' Ben...:smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
[quote name='swee'pea99']
rauwch.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just the job for poking open the CD Rom drive on an old PC.:smile:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
dellzeqq said:
I'm going to be a bit picky and point out that Concorde was a commercial failure from the word go
For the manufacturer, but BA eventually turned it into a commercial success (and please don't start the £1 extra aircraft argument - that's highly misleading and will lead to me doing a lengthy Concorde geek reply :smile:).

was hugely innefficient
On the contrary, for a supersonic aircraft it was fantastically efficient, which was what gave it the range to cross the Atlantic.

and ended up being grounded after a terrible accident
Temporarily grounded after an accident, something which has happened to many successful aircraft. Once the new fuel tank membranes had been fitted, it got its CoA back again and resumed operation.

Even after AF (who completely botched their Concorde marketing) ceased operation, BA's Concorde operations still remained profitable, despite then picking up 100% of the manufacturer support costs instead of 50% of them.

What killed it was 9-11: Concorde was unique in being heavily dependent on a small number of regular travellers, most of them flying once a week. 44 of those passengers died in the WTC.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:

That medieval baronial castle pastiche that the Victorians loved so much has to be included as a design classic, doesn't it? Here's Cragside House in Northumberland:

19967_470x372.jpg

Another design that can't have changed much in 100 years and still works pretty well, the pint beer glass:

libbey-14801ht.jpg

Top Bottom