Examples of enduring good design?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
What about the humble Sturmey Archer hub gear? Still around and in production after over 100 years.

Or the original VW Golf. It was so right in every way and set the standard for small family cars in it's time and all VW have done in their efforts to replace it is to make it bigger, uglier and heavier and not as enjoyable to drive.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
The waiters friend, as good today as it's always been...

Sommelier_Knife2.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
tyred said:
What about the humble Sturmey Archer hub gear? Still around and in production after over 100 years.

Or the original VW Golf. It was so right in every way and set the standard for small family cars in it's time and all VW have done in their efforts to replace it is to make it bigger, uglier and heavier and not as enjoyable to drive.

Sturmey Archer hub maybe ............... modern ones at a push. The ones from yesteryear were crap.

As far recommending a car ................. £^$%&"^%!!!

tyred

Legendary Member
Crankarm said:
Sturmey Archer hub maybe ............... modern ones at a push. The ones from yesteryear were crap.

As far recommending a car ................. £^$%&"^%!!!

There are plenty of old SA hubs still in everyday use and still running reliably after decades of use. What more do you want?

Why shouldn't I recommend a car? They need to be designed like everything else and some are better designed than others. Rather than highlight some exotic sports car that few people can afford, I picked a car for the people that I believe set the standards for many years after it was introduced.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Crankarm said:
FFS!!! This site is turning into a car forum. Go and post on PetrolHeads or TopGear :evil:.

Did I miss the bit at the end of the OP where it states 'unless Crankarm says otherwise'. Good design is good design isn't it regardless of whether you approve.

jonesy

Guru
Brsince78_photo_2444.jpg

An example of practicality and passenger comfort that was sadly ignored in the development of more recent high speed trains. :evil:

Crankarm

Guru
Rhythm Thief said:
At risk of meeting with Cranky's disapproval ...

... the Fender Telecaster.

35lyo8k.jpg

'Am I though only one interested in cycling?

Expensive cars, motorbikes, electric guitars all emblems of teenage fiddle :evil:.

Top Bottom