Excel graph problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Calling Excel experts.
I want to create a simple line graph from the following data:
Seconds Value
0 0
100 34
120 45
200 67
207 78
300 90
350 89
390 104
400 109

Which I can do easily, however, Excel plots it as if the gaps on the x-axis are equal, whereas they vary between about 7sec and 100sec. Is there anyway to get Excel to adjust the x-axis so the points are plotted in the correct places ?
upload_2017-2-13_10-32-9.png

Notice that the gap between 0 -100 is the same size as the gap between 100-120, whereas the first gap should be about 5 times bigger than the second.

Any ideas ?
Thanks
Andrew

Choose "XY Scatter Chart" option (rather than line graph)? Sorry - I don't have Excel but OpenOffice, and that appears to give what you want.

[edit] BINGO! https://support.office.com/en-gb/ar...ne-chart-4570a80f-599a-4d6b-a155-104a9018b86e

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The problem is you don't have a scale on the X axis - try formatting the cells in that column so it knows they are seconds rather than just a random collection of numbers.

(ETA: although this is actually easier said than done due to the stupid way Excel formats time values... In fact, I've just looked it up and it turns out you can't apply a scale to the X axis in Excel, which is thoroughly idiotic... but in fact the scatter chart option as already suggested by others works perfectly well, so I'll just shut up now and leave the advice-giving to those who know what they're talking about... ^_^ )

Last edited:
Top Bottom