Excercise Bike Contraption?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello there everyone,
Just thought I'd ask your opinion about something I'm considering.
With all this bad weather, and very probably a lot more ahead of us over the next month or two, I was considering buying a contraption (not sure what it is called),that the back wheel fits on to, and effectively turns it into an excercise bike that can be used indoors.
I was thinking about this as I'm beginning to lose some level of fitnes, as I haven't been out on my bike for about a week now, but I want to do something to keep a certain level of fitness over the next few weeks before the weather improves, and I can get out on my bike a lot more than I am at the moment.
I know I'm a wuss not wanting to ride in heavy rain/sub zero temps, as I see lots of other cyclist out on the road in these conditions.
My questions are,
1, Do these contraptions actually work?
2, Do other members use one, if so, how do you rate them?
3, Where is the best place to buy one, Halfords/Decathlon, or possibly a LBS?
TYIA:bicycle:

Guyincognito76

They're called Turbos, or Turbo Trainers. I'd like to know if those one's you can get on the net for £50 are any good, I have misgivings.

1, Do these contraptions actually work? Yes, and like anything else the more you put in the more you get out.​
2, Do other members use one, if so, how do you rate them? Very highly, but cheaper trainers are likely to be more noisy, the more you spend the better the equipment, spend a lot and go VR to elleviate the boredom that sees cheaper models relegated to the cupboard after 15 minutes.
3, Where is the best place to buy one, Halfords/Decathlon, or possibly a LBS? Decide the model you want and select the cheapest seller on the net, if buying from abroad confirm they will ship a UK power supply model if it needs plugging in.
TYIA:bicycle:

When you say the cheaper ones are noisy, are they too noisy to hear the TV over?
That was a bit of a generalisation, the noise level will depend on the resistance type, magnetic, fluid, motor etc. When you are 'cycling' on a turbo I would say any would need the volume turned up on a telly to make it watchable and all would be annoying to anyone else in the same room.

I have a Tacx Fortius and have the volume on medium on the stereo, the vibrations and noise transmitted through the floor though can be quite annoying even to the neighbours, they liken it to a slightly unbalanced washing machine on constant spin.

D

Deleted member 1258

That was a bit of a generalisation, the noise level will depend on the resistance type, magnetic, fluid, motor etc. When you are 'cycling' on a turbo I would say any would need the volume turned up on a telly to make it watchable and all would be annoying to anyone else in the same room.

I have a Tacx Fortius and have the volume on medium on the stereo, the vibrations and noise transmitted through the floor though can be quite annoying even to the neighbours, they liken it to a slightly unbalanced washing machine on constant spin.

I use mine in the shed, nowhere else to use it, its old, knackered and loud, but in the shed it doesn't matter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Using one of these things must be one of the most mind-numbingly dull and boring activities it is possible to do.

Even the pros prefer to train on the road, as evidenced by the couple who were knocked off their bikes a month or so ago.

So I would urge the OP to carefully consider how much he will use the trainer before parting with any money.

I've often thought about buying one but i'd like to try one out first. Why don't they have a demonstration model of one for sale, in any bike shops? Or do they?
Decathlon stores usually have one set up you can try.

+1 for PR's comments though IME.

If you do buy one I'd seriously buy second hand. The market is generally flooded with hardly used turbos so therefore bargains can be had.

I used a turbo trainer as part of physio. It was a basic Tacx that I put the road bike on (Don't forget you'll need a block to elevate the front wheel a bit too). Got it from JE James after a good talk with staff.
Noise wasn't bad, I had the stereo on whenever I used it anyway.
It did me good for the physio part, which took months, but was pretty boring. Plus it didn't move around underneath me which made things very numb and sore after a while. There's models that do tilt, but not in my budget.

I sorta thought it was the equivalent of having a girlfriend, and ignoring her in favour of the Playboy channel. It was a shadow of the real thing.
I'd rather get out in the cold on the mountain bike :bicycle: but then I am a bit addicted :hyper:

Like most exercise equipment eh?:thumbsup: Once the after Christmas exercise regime ends, they put them in the shed or sell them.
Pretty much yup.

I have my own thoughts on turbos, but I don't air them anymore as it's not worth the grief TBH.

If you are sure you'll use it then fill your boots, but I've seen too many friends, and myself, get one with the absolute best of intentions only to leave it unused after a couple of spins.

Perhaps if you can afford to go the virtual reality route it may be different, or if you can have it in the house may also help, but I can neither afford to go VR or have it in the house, so for me it's a no go.

Top Bottom