excuse the crude diagram....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James10

So, I don't drive and don't know the official rules of the road.

diagram.jpg

The bike is the green thing (cos it's environmentally friendly and all that) and the cars are red (because they are the spawn of the devil). The lines point to where the stuff wants to go. So I can only turn right when there is a gap in oncoming traffic, same with the car that is turning right out of the road that I want to go down. Is there any official rules on who gets priority here? I never know what to do, and go first anyway. I don't like turning right.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If there is a give way line (which I imagine there is) across the road pointing roughly NE then the two cars (one turning right and one turning left) should cede priority to you on your bike (the one turning left may decide he has more time to go than you but he wouldn't be in your way anyway)

wakou

Über Member
The bike should position himself further forward, and turn from there, the car exiting the side road should turn behind the bike.

diagram.jpg

OP
OP
James10

James10

Okay! Got it. Checked on google maps and the side road does have the give way sign (I didn't know what this meant before).

Screenshot2013-07-21at115412.png

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I don't like junctions like that as common as they are, its very easy for the car pulling out to just quick look left and right and have enough of their vision obscured by traffic not to see the cyclist and drive out into you. Im not saying to avoid roads/junctions btw, just to be careful and ride like you're invisible ;)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
according to the HC:

On the right. If you are turning right, check the traffic to ensure it is safe, then signal and move to the centre of the road. Wait until there is a safe gap in the oncoming traffic and give a final look before completing the turn. It may be safer to wait on the left until there is a safe gap or to dismount and push your cycle across the road.(my emphasis)

the traffic waiting to join the road you're leaving, as Martin points out, will be obliged to give way to you. but... if it's a busy road with fast moving traffic, it's always better to wait on the left.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Can I recommend that you familiarise yourself with the Highway Code. It sets out all the road rules and shows what the various road signs mean.

Also available in paper form - £2.50 from any bookshop. Essential reading for all road users.:thumbsup:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Okay! Got it. Checked on google maps and the side road does have the give way sign (I didn't know what this meant before).

I'm not sure I've ever seen an argument in favour of compulsory training for cyclists before...

In all seriousness, buy a copy of the Highway Code. 99% of road users, most of whom are considerably bigger and heavier than you, will run their road use at least roughly on the basis it sets out. The most useful thing safety feature for me when I'm riding is the fact that I also drive, so can predict most of what cars will do.

All the advice here is right. You don't say how old you are, but I (and later my children) knew about Stop signs, Give Way signs, road markings and traffic lights well before leaving primary school.

I remember being allowed to go for a ride alone at eight, but not if I turned right. If I wanted to swim (right turn on way to pool), I had to have an older sibling with me.

Even now, the training rides mt teen-plus children do have no right turns in them. They are all competent and confident, but turning right when sweating and tired is best kept to a minimum.

Seriously, read the Highway Code, maybe take some lessons and also sit watching traffic for a bit. Sounds silly, but isn't.

Good luck and enjoy your cycling!

OP
OP
James10

James10

You need to try and find a cycling course as well as reading the highway code. You don't sound safe to be on the road

lol. I'm actually a very safe and conscientious cyclist, it's just turning right that has been confusing me. But this thread has cleared things up so thank you guys. I actually cycled this same corner today, following the advice above :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Seriously, read the Highway Code, maybe take some lessons and also sit watching traffic for a bit. Sounds silly, but isn't.
Certainly not silly. I still do this when I find myself at a busy unfamiliar junction (have a license, but never drove), I just pull in at the nearest bus stop or available space, watch the traffic, then rejoin the road.

Top Bottom