Exercise induced asthma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,
I've just been diagnosed with asthma - exercise induced apparently.
I'm currently feeling a bit crap about it. Are there any sufferers on here and how do you manage the condition?
I'm currently taking ventolin 3x per day and monitoring peak flow twice a day as instructed by my GP. I have to do this for a month and then return to my GP for a review and take the ventolin when required.
I've noticed it's easier to breathe with the ventolin, but as I'm also suffering with a cold at the moment it's difficult to see a massive improvement. I know that asthma is fairly common and also manageable but it feels like a big deal at the moment ;) so any encouragement and reassurance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Cor, not you as well. I was diagnosed last year and I think Chris James relatively recently.

Did the same. Peakflow for a month before final medication which I now take everyday. I use a turbohaler of Symbicort for management and I also have a blue easi-breathe to use before excercise to open up my airways. My actual lung capacity is still good, above average, it's my small airways which are a bit blocked, which results in me often sounding and feeling out of breath doing everyday stuff. Once excercising though, my asthma doesn't affect me now it's controlled. Prior to it being controlled I began to struggle with breathing during and after excercise.

DaveP

Kirstie,

+1...

I find that when I cycle in the cold at night, I tend to suffer...

Have often thought about getting a Respro mask, but unsure if it would help me.

At the mo controlled by Qvar, but take the ventolin out on rides...

Have not used the ventolin yet, when my chest feels tight I slow down a little at a time until I feel OK...

I am sure that you will quickly get to grips with it, keep going.....

Thanks both.

It was riding in cold, damp air (freezing fog to be precise!) which gave me my first attack a couple of weeks ago, and I had another problem in the middle of the night on Saturday - I was in Cyprus but again the temperature had dropped, my window was open and the sea was just outside!

So cold and damp probably give me problems. Up until recently I only had one other episode about 3 years ago in an all night race - again it was cold and damp.

Normally I have no problems whatsoever with breathing/wheezing, recover quickly on climbs, and don't get particularly breathless. It has come as a bit of a surprise.

My peak flow is well down and I hope that it improves soon!

Chris James

Über Member
Maybe my doc was a bit lax.

I originally got wheezy after a bad cold getting on for two years ago. Thinking back I had been intermittently wheezy at nights for years but thought everyone else was too!

Anyway, the doc dished out a blue inhaler with instruction to see how I got on with it and said that I probably didn't have asthma. I tended to disagree with him as the salbutamol definitely improved my breathing.I used it pretty regularly for a month or so and then everything seemed to clear up during the summer (when hay fever kicked in instead!).

Anyway, over a period of a year or so I got back to being wheezy, at nights mostly, again. Cold air was a bad trigger, especially if tied in with a bike ride. I would often start rides slightly wheezy but after a while, as long as I took it steady, my breathing seemed to improve.

Anyway, the long and short of it was that I got to be wheezing more and more often, and not just at nights. I picked up a cold and got to the stage where I needed to go on all fours when I reached the top of the stairs to get my breath back! I had a pretty poor weekend of waking up every two or three hours needing my inhaler and had huge coughing fits that seemed to suck all the air out of me. My wife was concerned enough to tell me to sleep in the next room but to bang something if I thought I was dying so she could phone an ambulance!

When I went back to the docs on the Monday morning they put me on steroid tablets and then on a preventer. I had a few issues with the medication (!!) but have now been on my current preventer for about two and a half months.

The good news is that my breathing is brilliant. I hadn't realised how poor it had been getting before it finally gave out. My peak flow was at that point about half what it should have been. My current inhaler flixotide really seems to do the trick. I have since had a couple of colds (we have young kids who are always snotty). Normally a simple cold would be enough for me to be on the blue inhaler for weeks, but with the preventer I haven't needed the blue inhaler at all.

I took a pre ride shot of salbutamol before the Holme Moss loop ride and the reliever with me but didn’t need it despite it being absolutely freezing and a pretty hard ride for me after all the lay offs I have been having recently.

So my experience so far has been quite positive. One thing I would advise is that if you feel your breathing is getting worse then don't struggle on / go into denial like I did. I think I am probably only very mildly asthmatic, and looking back I was wheezy as a very active teenager so maybe I have always had a tendency that way. Managing my asthma has meant that my breathing is now better than I can ever remember – and that includes periods when I rowed in the national championships, climbed alpine peaks, did Scottish winter mountaineering etc

This is a bit of a rambling response I am afraid Kirstie. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that you definitely need to monitor how your breathing is. However, you shouldn’t feel like you are somehow crippled or limited in any way.

DaveP

Kirsti,

I also went for a raft of allergy tests, and among the triggers I responded positively to was mould spores, so what at first seemed to be a “simple” cause and effect in fact ended up a little more complex, not trying to be alarmist here, but it may be something worth thinking about.

It kinda made sense for me as I was inhaling then exhaling at a greater rate, so I was “importing” a larger percentage of the things that I was allergic to and getting a chain reaction going on, what made matters worse for me is that I have a nasty habit of skip-breathing (I tend to hold, or take a long pause before I breath out).

Like Chris, I'd ignored the fact that I coughed and gurgled my way through the night and had reached the stage where my sleep was often disturbed. I didn't know why until a particularly bad virus finally made it pretty clear there was something amiss. I think it was when I got off the bike and had to sit hunched for twenty minutes to breathe that I realised it wasn't just the virus which was doing me in.

Once I began using a preventer the difference was profound. Virtually doubled my usual peakflow overnight and quadrupled my post excercise peakflow. Mine is still relatively mild but I couldn't now manage without inhalors so it's definetly taken hold since diagnosis.

Mine tends to come on most during the hayfever season and a bit as we head into Winter. I use becotide daily as a preventer, plus the ventolin as required.

On the plus side, my peak flow has improved quite a bit since I started cycling and my GP was quite impressed with me earlier this year.

So, staying at the best fitness you can and making the best of your cardio-vascular system is the way to go. And cycling's a good way to do that. (Stating the obvious a bit, really, but still ..)

But, remember to stay on top of it.

Thanks for all the stories! I suppose the good thing is that I went to the GP as soon as i thought something was wrong, and I haven't been struggling on for long. The slight pisser was that I went to A&E a couple of weeks ago following the freezing fog ride and they told me it wasn't asthma after listening to my chest. If they had I would not have had the problems I had in Cyprus on the weekend, which was a bit of a nightmare and rather anxiety provoking as I was away from home and didn't have access to a doctor. Luckily one of my friends had a bottle of olbas oil and I spent a lot of my time with my head over a bowl of hot water/olbas and breathing it in on a hanky. I managed OK with it, but as soon as I got the ventolin I could see the difference in my breathing.

If I'm honest I've not had many breathing problems in the past, except for in the cold and damp as I said before...oh well.

My current problem is that the ventolin is giving me the shakes really badly - like I've had way too much coffee - so I am waiting for a call back from my doc as to what I should do with the dose.

DaveP

Kirstie said:
My current problem is that the ventolin is giving me the shakes really badly - like I've had way too much coffee - so I am waiting for a call back from my doc as to what I should do with the dose.

For me those symptoms represent taking too much...

jay clock

Massive member
In terms of dosage one doctor told me to start with a high dosage and work downwards until you start to get symptoms again, then go back up one step. Otherwise you will always be edging up in the hope it works better.

I had asthma for about 15 yrs from age 20-35 but it faded away. Exercise helped, so get on that bike!

yoyo

The shakes indicate too much medication.

I also suffer in the cold and damp and have very low peak flow (in the 300s). Exercise leaves me struggling significantly, so I prefer to cycle alone at my own pace. I also get tight chested in the summer and reckon it is an allergy to some type of pollen. These have been my symptoms all my life. At present I can't find my inhaler.... The environmentally friendly ones don't work so well, so I resort to holding hot-water bottles or their equivalent on my chest. The tightness and difficulty breathing take longer to disappear but it does work.

Top Bottom