exmoor beast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasawing

Yep, the FAQs say to make sure you have lights, and the clocks go back on the 31st Oct this year.

Aha, and I've also read on their site that its possible to get some mist as well. Lights it is! (some one on another forum was advising otherwise, so I think I'll go and put them straight)

Lance Substrong

Given that the vast majority of the field will start and finish in the hours of daylight, I think only those who expect to finish as darknes approaches need a full set of lights. However, I think it wise to fit a rear light because, in poor daytime visibility, anything which alerts those coming up from behind has to add to rider safety.

Another choice, which was featured today in the Exmoor Beast Chronicle, relates to the ford which crosses the road after the first part of the Dunkery Beacon climb. Should you risk falling off by attempting to ride through it or take advantage of the nearby footbridge? Anybody got any experience or advice on this one?

Nasawing

Given that the vast majority of the field will start and finish in the hours of daylight, I think only those who expect to finish as darknes approaches need a full set of lights. However, I think it wise to fit a rear light because, in poor daytime visibility, anything which alerts those coming up from behind has to add to rider safety.

Another choice, which was featured today in the Exmoor Beast Chronicle, relates to the ford which crosses the road after the first part of the Dunkery Beacon climb. Should you risk falling off by attempting to ride through it or take advantage of the nearby footbridge? Anybody got any experience or advice on this one?

Cheers Lance. A water feature huh?! Now that's an interesting one... (I think I'll pack my armbands too!)

Nasawing

Cheers Lance. A water feature huh?! Now that's an interesting one... (I think I'll pack my armbands too!)

There's a bit about the water in the last edition of The Beast The Chronicle. The piece seems to be recommending being brave and going through it rather than wasting time going around. At least there's plenty of surface water lying in deep puddles here in Wiltshire after all the rain, so I'm going to get some practice in... ;-)

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Rode the Beast last year, was entered for the 100 mile but alas it was cancelled ! So rode the 100 km and boy was i glad of that. Great ride though, I'll never forget the climb up to Dunkery !!!
Riding the 100 km again this year - hoping to beat my time of last year 5 hrs 12 mins. Would like to get under 5 hours :blush:

(I walked over the bridge)

Nasawing

Hehehe! Think I might risk the full 'wash and go' on the ford... Did you see their article about hill climbing? (Dunno what time I'm aiming for - but in one piece and before dark will suffice I think!)

They're calling a close to registrations on the 23rd according to the website. Looks to be proving popular.

Lance Substrong

Good on yer Nasawing, a man (?) after my own heart; I'll be up for a full 'wash and go'. I'll need to take advantage at any point where I can save a few minutes as I bid to get inside the bronze standard time. Come on Beastie, bring it on, cause I'm ready to really tame you this time.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Hi

Marcus again for ThreelionsBrian

Sorry for the delay but I have been away. I am very sorry that we have clashed with the Devil, it wasn't my intention and I have been hacked off in the past when sportives crop up and clash with us. The best is on the same weekend as last year to be fair no change. it was on the 1st Nov last year and its on the 31st of Oct this year so its actually only one day.

The Dartmoor Devil is always on the last Sunday of the month. The full Audax calendar can be found at www.audax.uk.net. You can find the serious events there as well.

Nasawing

The Dartmoor Devil is always on the last Sunday of the month. The full Audax calendar can be found at www.audax.uk.net. You can find the serious events there as well.

So, you think the Dartmoor Devil isn't serious then?

Lance Substrong

I think Ian H is implying that 'The Beast' isn't a serious event. If so, how wrong can he be? Just ask anybody who completed last year's ride. And serious isn't just about how tough a route is, it's also a reflection on how well organised the event is. Despite last year's external challenges, which the organisers addressed magnificently, over 1200 are already signed up to have another go this time. So, I think, it's safe to say 'The Beast' is a very serious event, in every sense of the word. Only 17 days to go now so, if you've not already entered, come along and join us - if you like serious events.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
...and I think Ian means that compared to 300k, 400k, 600k and 1000k Audax rides, neither the Dartmoor Devil or the Beast are 'serious' rides - and in that context, I'd agree with him!

Threelionsbrian

it's also a reflection on how well organised the event is. Despite last year's external challenges, which the organisers addressed magnificently, 

Don't think there was much choice although i was  surprised it went ahead at all in those conditions. I suppose with that outlay cancellation would have been too expensive?

Top Bottom