EXMOUTH EXODUS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
So tempted by this... need to work out a way back home after, but would be my first 100 miles, ahead of 3 days of a 100 miles towards the end of June... the idea of heading down through Cheddar at night is the most insane and appealing part :tongue:

zzpza

i'm going to do this. :biggrin: i can't wait. i've tried to convince a few friends to join me. only one has agreed so far. due to a clash of dates, i may do the DD too so my friends that cried off this due to other commitments have no excuse!

GrahamG

Guru
I'm looking at van hire to get bikes back from Exmouth to Bristol - anyone want to guess at how many bikes will fit in a LWB transit?

If I can fit 20 bikes in, then that'll mean costs (hire + fuel) are covered at £8 a bike.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Bump!

Quick update - the cafe is opening at 6am (hurrah for the Blessed Dawn and her crew of kitchen goddesses) so the speedy boys and early birds won't be sitting around in the cold waiting for them to open. ;)

Tynan

Veteran
riding to somehwere godforsaken on the coast is manly in my book

and riding on to Ipswich after breako was manly too, the half dozen of us on the train were very pleased with ourselves, that's the point of a bike, independance and self reliance

you chaps have fun although the Gorge thing sounds iffy, I can't say I like fast downhills in the dark

Threelionsbrian

is the start point and the route the same this year? i was going to try and learn it this time, i couldn't see sod all in the dark last time. Had to follow some distant red light for most of the dark section, they must have thought they had a stalker :sad:

vorsprung

Veteran
Threelionsbrian said:
is the start point and the route the same this year? i was going to try and learn it this time, i couldn't see sod all in the dark last time. Had to follow some distant red light for most of the dark section, they must have thought they had a stalker :biggrin:

Brian are you Andy's mate I talked to on the train on the way up from Devon last year?

If so, ride with me this year. I have a headtorch and a route sheet and I only got lost once last year ;)

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
There shouldn't be any changes to the route. The only thing to note is that some of the roads have deteriorated a bit over winter.

Hopefully you lot won't get the gharstly headwind ov doom that we had for the recce last weekend. That was a beast of a ride.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm in, weather permitting (the train fare was cheap enough to write off). What's it like getting bikes on the Exmouth-Exeter train, since they won't take booking for that leg of the journey? Am I going to end up riding to St Davids station?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
They Exmouth-Exeter trains are of the two-carriage variety, and the guards always seem fine about having bikes on, and I don't think the trains are that full on Sunday mornings anyway. Haven't heard of anyone having any problems yet <crosses fingers>.

Threelionsbrian

Vorsprung thanks for your offer, but i am arriving late even if the trains on time :biggrin:. I have still got my training to do yet :sad:. I have had a few extra physical problems leg misfuntions etc. So if you see me coming leg it before you get lumbered. Hopefully things will pan out ok. Really enjoyed it last year. You'll be pleased to know i have a constant back light to go in tandem with the extremely blinky one :smile:. Not that you're likely to be behind me :biggrin:. The Guard was excellent on the way home Rogerzilla.

GrahamG

Guru
Baggy - I was out yesterday in the Clevedon area and there's a road cloasure on part of the EE route programmed in until 12th june. It's on Manmoor Lane, the bridge over the river at the junction with Davies Lane.

It's passable at the moment (outside working hours) but does involve wheeling the bike through around the barrier fence. I'll check nearer the time to see what the situation is but it might need an optional diversion through Nailsea for those who'd rather not dodge their way through the closure.

Hartry

Hi new to this site,

I will be taking part in the formidable EE 2009, I have managed to convince 4 others at our work place to come along and training appears to be going well!! 40miles in 2hr 20mins last Thursday, and do over 150 miles a week!!

Has there been any changes or updates we should know about, and what time do we have to be at the pub?

One of my friends might require transportation home, I have read that there may be some mini-bus transportation, is this right? and are there spare seat's?

Thanks in advance. :tongue:

Top Bottom