EXMOUTH EXODUS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
well I have the go ahead to take part in this one, so just need to sort a way of getting back from Exmouth to the Bath area.

(need to sort a ride over to the start too... )

Wingnut

Hi JohnnyH and Paddy01 and anyone else worried about the distance - dont be, last year my eldest brother 'Grizzly' rode and it was the first time he had rode a bike in yonks, we left bristol at 9.15 after a beer and arrived at exmouth spot on 7.00am for a whisky breakfast (I kid you not), take it easy, spin low gears on the hills, chill, follow the wheels and you will be fine. To all those who say its the wrong side of the country, I say "pah!". I'm coming down from Galloway in bonnie scotland again for the ride and we will have the double the numbers of stewartry wheelers this year, Grizzly, me, simon and for the last 10 miles Grizzly's son, Grizzly cub (well he is only 9)

see you guys at the bar next month

zzpza

if there's a 'team billy (no mates)', then i'd like to join as all my friends have bailed. ;)

i've never had a beer before a long ride. as we're starting in a pub, it would be rude not to. how badly does it effect you? do they have any good ales there? :biggrin:

re wingnut, i think i'll take a celebratory 'wee dram' in a hip flask!

Wingnut

The last two times I rode the Fred Whitton I had a local beer as prep and got the elite certificate each time so would argue there are strong athletic benefits to be gained - it numbs the pain for starters, we had the local ale and it was pretty good stuff, just the one pint though, although I recall being given whisky at the feed stop in chedder gorge last year (hint, hint)

No such thing as no mates on a bike ride, folk really do stick together and chat away to strangers, if all else fails look for some chancers in yellow jerseys with a rampant lion against a bicycle wheel, the stewartry wheelers are friends of all if they buy us a beer!
all the best:laugh:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
HELP PLEASE!

If anyone can give Big Dave a hand crewing the half way food stop (North Curry) please get in touch with him on this thread. You can still help if you're riding, so long as you're prepared to stop and give half an hour or so dishing out pasta to starving cyclists.

johnnyh

Veteran
just a quickie! :biggrin:

For this trip to Exmouth, is there any advantage to running say 700x25c over 700x23c? I saw it mentioned on the ride forum but would welcome feedback before I go switching tyres for the 25's I have in the garage.

Cheers

snakehips

I am trying to plan my return to Bristol. I imagine a lot of people will be going back there after the ride.
What are the popular options , do many people get a train from Exmouth to Exeter and change , or do people cycle to Exeter St David's ?
What are the cycle carrying limitations on the Exeter-Bristol trains ? I believe there are two train companies that run a service , do they both allow bikes ?

regards.jpg
from.jpg
snakehips.jpg

vorsprung

Veteran
johnnyh said:
just a quickie! :rolleyes:

is there any advantage to running say 700x25c over 700x23c?

Cheers

Some of the roads are as rough as a badgers arse so you might appreciate the extra air if you aren't used to riding 100 miles or so

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
johnnyh said:
hahaha rough as a badgers arse, I get where you are coming from, 25's it is then xx(
Sensible chap. :laugh:

Check the forecast before you pack. Unless it's going to be positively balmy I'd recommend a base layer/vest and a long sleeve top at least. If you have room it can be a good idea to pack a light fleece and a pair of lightweight over trousers because it can be chilly if you have to hang around at the finish. For shorts I'd go 3/4 length, again, unless it's going to be warm.

johnnyh

Veteran
cool, 25's and 3/4 length bibs with a merino long sleeve base and a short sleeve jersey, that should fit the bill. Can always stick a rack on the bike and pop some Bikesters and a top in, along with a waterproof.

Really looking forward to this. :biggrin:

GrahamG

Guru
To reiterate Chuffy's warning - it got down to about 2 degrees last year and even with a warm long sleeve base layer with jersey over the top, I ended up wearing my waterproof to keep warm for almost the entire journey.

Top Bottom