EXMOUTH EXODUS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
For everyone about to do the ride. A nice song about weather.... ;)

johnnyh

Veteran
hahah nice one Chuffy.... time to get kitted up and head to the rail station to get to Temple Meads... see you all at the pub! :biggrin:

johnnyh

Veteran
man that was nasty!

left in good weather, but by the time of the downhill into Cheddar it was bad, brakes didn't want to work, cold wet feet... never has a cup of tea or several looked as good, and the jelly babies too!

I hope people are all OK, be good to hear from everyone that they are safe warm and dry.

that was an experience

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
johnnyh said:
man that was nasty!
Wasn't it just! :wacko:

I take my hat off to every one of you who turned up and take it off again to the number of you who finished.

About 10 riders bailed out that we know of, and there are one or two who we're assuming got lifts home. We'd be pleased to hear from the guy who was wearing a hooded, red waterproof top who fixed his brakes at the bottom of Cheddar Gorge though.

Another great bunch of riders this year, how you all kept smiling I really don't know. :biggrin:

Well done anyway johnny! We're still not sure who you were though!

johnnyh

Veteran
I was the freezing and shivering mess who had about 4 cups of tea... having spilt the first one over my hands cause I was shivering too much to hold it :wacko:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
johnnyh said:
I was the freezing and shivering mess who had about 4 cups of tea... having spilt the first one over my hands cause I was shivering too much to hold it :wacko:

Amazingly enough, that actually does narrow it down! Hello!

I think you got to the point where the second tea stop should have been well before we did, so apologies - we didn't leave Cheddar until 2.30am and made slow progress as we stopped a number of times to check people were ok. It was huge relief when the rain finally stopped!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Hey summerdays, it stopped at about 4am - around the time the more leisurely half the riders were at or just leaving the North Curry food stop. The sun came out at 6.30am and hasn't gone in yet - it's a cruel world sometimes. ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wasn't able to make it to the pub last night... I got dragged by Mr Summerdays to IKEA to sort out the kids bedroom - he has spent today: first going back down to get the extra box we forgot to get... then whilst I made lunch ... he started building it on the landing. I only saw when I went to call him and pointed out it wouldn't fit through the door into the kids bedroom! We have just dismantled it - somehow he isn't spacially aware - hence can't navigate around Ikea or work out the best way to get the boxes into the car without me. Still I have other weaknesses instead.

How many did it in total? I assume some were put off by the forecast of dire weather which sounds like you actually had. I imagine people would look at johnnyh and say "You did WHAT for fun?????"

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
summerdays said:
How many did it in total? I assume some were put off by the forecast of dire weather which sounds like you actually had. I imagine people would look at johnnyh and say "You did WHAT for fun?????"
We think that about 60-70 started, which is pretty damn impressive under the circumstances. The rain was torrential and it was bloody cold too. Baggy and I picked up one poor soul at the first tea stop. She got to the bottom of the Gorge, pulled into the tea stop and burst into tears because she was so cold and had got so scared on the descent. The other chap we picked up was on the verge of hypothermia when we passed him and his friends about ten miles out from Cheddar, so he went in the van too. A massive thank you to Andy Gates for the loan of the van from all concerned....:biggrin:

Johnnyh - Baggy thinks she knows who you were but I haven't got a clue. Nice to have almost met you though! :rolleyes:

We thought that 2007 was the Year Of Grim Weather, but this surpassed it easily. Everyone who rode, whether they finished or not, deserves massive respect. Next year has to be better. :smile:

Top Bottom