Expense versus keeping warm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I do a half hour commute every day, including through the winter. To date I have only ever bought cheapy cycling or running gear, and generally this has kept me warm enough.
Looking at one or two other threads here make me wonder, if I decided to splash out on something more expensive from the LBS, is it a case of you get what you pay for? I noticed today that my legs still get cold even with wind-proof bib longs, and I wondered if parting with more readies might cure this problem (80 or 90 euros or more as against 12.99!). Or do you only end up paying for the name and it doesn't really make much odds?

I wouldn't know, I never buy cheap sh!t.

Maz

Guru
Hi
I think there are different bib longs for summer and winter, if I'm not mistaken. You don't say what type of bib longs you have.

I can heartily recommend the dhb bib longs available from wiggle [see wiggle.com]. Comfortable, warm and inexpensive (£30ish - haven't checked the website). Well worth the money.

domtyler

Über Member
I don't rate the WindStopper stuff when you are working up a sweat. Try some really thick fluffy bib longs, the sweat doesn't build up and you keep far warmer. If you are just standing around though WS would be great.

Ironically it is the WS stuff that tends to be far more expensive, my WS bibs were £80, the thick fluffy non-WS Adistar ones were about £35 and keep me much warmer while cycling even though the wind gets through. When it comes to gloves though I do go for WS.

andygates

Ladie's tights - the sexy ones not the cycling ones - are traditional for cheapskates in winter. As used and approved by the British Army.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Helly Hansen or North Cape long johns do the job very nicely. And you can use them for activities other than cycling. (You will wear out the arse of them though).

Sorry if that's open to misinterpretation...

OP
OP
Unkraut

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Thanks one and all.
It seems to me that more outlay does not necessarily equal warmer, and I think I shall continue to keep to the cheaper end, especially as you need duplicates of most things. Extra layers of the long johns / tights variety seem a reasonable answer to when it gets really cold, although I think I might dispense with the fishnets, if you don't mind! ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Unkraut said:
Thanks one and all.
It seems to me that more outlay does not necessarily equal warmer, and I think I shall continue to keep to the cheaper end, especially as you need duplicates of most things. Extra layers of the long johns / tights variety seem a reasonable answer to when it gets really cold, although I think I might dispense with the fishnets, if you don't mind! :smile:

We don't! :smile:

stephec

Legendary Member
Unkraut said:
Thanks one and all.
It seems to me that more outlay does not necessarily equal warmer, and I think I shall continue to keep to the cheaper end, especially as you need duplicates of most things. Extra layers of the long johns / tights variety seem a reasonable answer to when it gets really cold, although I think I might dispense with the fishnets, if you don't mind! :smile:

They haved to be seamed stockings at least!

:smile::tongue::tongue:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Unkraut said:
I do a half hour commute every day, including through the winter. To date I have only ever bought cheapy cycling or running gear, and generally this has kept me warm enough.
Looking at one or two other threads here make me wonder, if I decided to splash out on something more expensive from the LBS, is it a case of you get what you pay for? I noticed today that my legs still get cold even with wind-proof bib longs, and I wondered if parting with more readies might cure this problem (80 or 90 euros or more as against 12.99!). Or do you only end up paying for the name and it doesn't really make much odds?

I used to use Ron Hill Bikesters through the winter, but last spring I saw a pair of Northwave WindStopper Bib Tights and bought them because there were cheep. Not that winter have come round again and I have had the chance to try them out, I have found they are excellent, defiantly worth spending the money on.

Top Bottom