Expensive components on cheap bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Hello guys

Just curious to understand what's the general opinion on the topic.

I've got a cheapish bike (less than £1k), with entry level components like shimano sora, stock wheels, stock saddle....you get the jist.

I don't want to own more than 1 bike and I like how the bike I have fits me, so I'm thinking of pimping it up with much more expensive components.

What's your thoughts on pimping your bike? :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it floats your boat why not? I'm sure most people make a few upgrades to their bikes, I know I have.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd be more interested in fine-tuning the bike to suit you, whether that means different bars, gear ratios or whatever. Once you get to a certain level of component quality, they all work pretty much the same. But mostly, as Fab Foodie says.

Don't forget that the frame is one of the components which can be changed.

Wheels always a good change, especially if they are heavy. Bars, stem and seatpost are easy to change and need not be expensive. Brakes too, especially if rim and standard ones. Don`t forget a before and after photo. I`ll just add mine. To be honest there is not a lot of difference. What weight I saved I added by fitting mudguards. The wheels made the biggest difference.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd ask what you want to get out of the components and whether this represents good value (if so whether you care about this). You also want to look at the knock-on costs; for example if you have a 9sp groupset you may have to change your hub to fit an 11sp cassette; meaning realistically the rims are going too..

In terms of groupsets IMO 105 is the sweet spot - nice performance with massively diminishing gains / value if you go any further up the chain. That said Tiagra is nearly as good (with the exception of the brake calipers) if you're happy with 1 less cog on the back.

Wheels and tyres are the most effective way of managing performance through mass loss, but even then I'm dubious of the claims and insinuations made by the industry. Talking mass generally (not the rotating mass of the wheels) 1kg off an entry-level bike might reduce its mass by around 10%, but factor in the mass of the rider etc and the saving drops closer to 1%.

Think how much it costs to save a kilo on an entry level bike; just to get you up that hill / accelerate off the line 1% faster.

I think we all get carried away when considering upgrades; however in reality IMO most of the time the tangible benefits are minimal (certainly beyond a certain price point).

Its also worth considering that an upgraded frame can also offer additional benefits such as improved comfort, and that if you do your homework re. frame geometry; reach and stack etc it becomes a lot easier to compare one frame to the next and take the guess-work out of looking at alternatives.

End of the day if you're going to spend the money on new gear, most cycling kit seems to be a money pit anyway in terms of depreciation / used value :tongue: :shy:

EDIT: To use my own road bike as an example, it's had some decent bottle cages fitted and 105 calipers as the original Tektros were crap, but other than that the economically-sound choice is to leave the original Tiagra in place. I could spend around £800 on a full R7000 groupset, an appropriate BB conversion (it's currently PF30) and a better set of wheels with hubs that support the 11sp cassette, but all that would achieve in the real world would be one extra sprocket, a slightly lighter bike and maybe a few hundred quid added to its value (although if selling I guess it could be sold off peacemeal for a bit more, if you could be arsed). Better ways to spend the money IMO!

Last edited:
I’m all for it. I’ve got a couple of bikes, which started out as cheapo numbers ( not total BSOs though ) and have much more expensive kit added over the years.

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

I’m all for it. I’ve got a couple of bikes, which started out as cheapo numbers ( not total BSOs though ) and have much more expensive kit added over the years.

I'm all for this approach.

Makes it possible to have Just ONE bike that is exactly like you want it.

"Want" being the keyword rather than "need"....none of us need the best components.

Gunk

Guru
Shimano 105 5800 group set is a good upgrade, smooth with lovely shifting quality, stems and seat posts IMO are a waste of money. For wheels, personally I like custom built Mavic open rims with 105 hubs, about £300 but well worth the money. Used Mavic Ksyrium can be found used on eBay for about the same price.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I'm fussey about the contact points, so saddle, bars and pedals are first to be changed. The rest as they wear out.

Always good to have two pairs of wheels. One for winter and one for summer and also useful if you find the PF has been busy thru the night and in the morning you wake up to a flat.

Top Bottom