Expensive components on cheap bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Depends on how many bikes you own? The more bikes owned the harder it is to understand?

carlosfandangus

Über Member
The op doesn't want to own more than 1 bike because he doesn't need more than 1 bike.

How is it so difficult to understand?
I have 4 bikes, a steel one from the early 80's a hard tail MTB about 10 years old that I paid £850 for a 2.5 k synapse ultegra and a carbon gravel bike that i built, please don't tell my wife that it is the bike I built that is the only one used.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have considered that. I also did a test ride on it since the frame geometry of the higher-end model is pretty much the same as the model I've got.

I just can't get myself to buying a bike that only comes in bright orange :laugh:

(FYI, I have a Boardman adv 8.8, which comes in a nice a subtle grey and blue. The adv 8.9 is the orange beast that I don't dig much)
That's interesting - I considered both these models some time ago but was ultimately drawn away by the allure of a steel frame. Tthe Boardman website appears to state that the 8.9 actually has a mostly Tiagra level groupset; so 105 would still be a step-up on your existing frame. The 8.9 frame also appears to be a different ("better"..?) grade of alloy, for what benefits this may or may not bring.

FWIW, somewhat uncharacteristically I quite like the orange, but each to their own :tongue:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Whatever floats your boat really. With a mid range frame I wouldn’t spend too much on high end components, personally. For utility riding there’s not much performance or comfort gain beyond 105. Tyres and good inner tubes can make a much better difference, along with improvements to points of contact. Change out anything that squeaks and spend your spare change on a few decent tools.

I've put Alivio grade or better shifters and mech on my Trek rigid mtb. Not because I want more or 'better' gears, but because that gets me the ratios I want. The Scott roadie, a good bike in its day which cost me zilch, is moving over to Alivio Shadow for much the same reason - to get the gearing I desire. Neither bike is probably worth even the fairly low outlay, but they will be my bikes, to suit me. If you get that out of it, what's money?

OP
OP
BigMeatball

BigMeatball

That's interesting - I considered both these models some time ago but was ultimately drawn away by the allure of a steel frame. Tthe Boardman website appears to state that the 8.9 actually has a mostly Tiagra level groupset; so 105 would still be a step-up on your existing frame. The 8.9 frame also appears to be a different ("better"..?) grade of alloy, for what benefits this may or may not bring.

FWIW, somewhat uncharacteristically I quite like the orange, but each to their own :tongue:

Oh dang! Have I dreamed that the 8.9 had shimano 105? Well, this changes things.

105 back in the game :okay:

Gunk

Guru
What is a con is the statement “105 groupset” but the bike has a non series crankset and brake calipers, my BMC ALR 01 was like this so I upgraded the crankset and brakes to 105 5800 to match, shouldn’t really have to on a £1200 bike. BMC aren’t the only culprit, Specialized do this on the Allez fitting a cheap FSA crankset.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
The op doesn't want to own more than 1 bike because he doesn't need more than 1 bike.

How is it so difficult to understand?

Read between the lines.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The Op says he doesn't want to own more than one bike - a little unusual on here from all I've gleaned.

Wonder how many others share this idea, I mean, only one bike, just can't get my head round it ^_^
I had just 1 bicycle for many years, then eventually wised up to the fact that there are times when it's inevitably out of action due to major maintenance needed, during which times I had 0 bicycles. I then bought another one. :laugh:

Johnno260

Veteran
I had just 1 bicycle for many years, then eventually wised up to the fact that there are times when it's inevitably out of action due to major maintenance needed, during which times I had 0 bicycles. I then bought another one. :laugh:

Main reason I got a 2nd was I couldn't get full mud guards on the Merida, the Ribble is a perfect winter/wet weather machine for me.

froze

Über Member
No need to replace anything if it ain't broken! As others have said you're biggest noticeable improvement would come from lighter wheels and tires, do the tires first then later go to the wheels, just keep the old wheels. Be careful of lighter tires, too light and your flats will increase.

When something breaks then replace the bad part with Tiagra or 105, and by the way Sora is not entry level, Journey is the entry level followed by Claris and then Sora, but Sora is pretty darn bombproof so it's not bad stuff by any means, plus it's intended for a 9 speed system whereas Tiagra is a 10 speed system. So I really don't think you need to go to a "better" set of components because I think you have a 9 speed bike so you may have to stay with Sora which like I said is decent stuff.

As far as a saddle goes, those should be replaced regularly anyways because the padding wears out, so you're biggest problem is going to find a comfortable saddle that works for your arse; so if you like your current saddle then find one similar to what you have.

So long story short, your bike is pretty well set up now, go with lighter tires and tubes for now, and then later find some lighter wheels, but I would wait on the wheels till when they start to go bad. Sorry if what I've said saved you money!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My Wayfarer does everything I ask from it.
Wanna go mountain biking? I stick the nobbly tyres on.
Wanna go racing? Unlikely, but then I'll stick the Voyager Hypers on.
Wanna go touring? Either of those tyres will do.
The studded nobblies come out in snow or ice.
It's the most comfy bike I've ever ridden.
One bike does for me :smile:

Some more expensive bits can be good if not built for weight saving.
One of my favourite bikes built up from a frame i got for £30 (got another identically framed full bike for £21) rear mech is a nice steel ultegra job - came with a bike i bought in 2004. Got bashed once and the hanger bent but still works fine. Recently replaced jockey wheels. May outlive me. If not have a second hand spare or two in waiting.

Top Bottom