Extended traffic light green cycle for bikes - nice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Noticed this today on a set of temporary lights through a tunnel near where i live. The tunnel sections are quite long and in the direction we were going, also up hill. Knowing how long it would take to get through that section I’m sue many a cyclist have found themselves facing oncoming traffic on a single lane road in a tunnel, certainly not great😳

So they’ve added an extended green cycle button so that any cyclist can press it so that the next green phase is long enough for them to pass through , also avoids having to have a long green cycle permanently when there’s not too many cyclists that pass though.

6D9BA5AB-3ABE-4041-8CFC-0C2C35CE0C79.jpeg

5A49963C-9E43-451D-AD06-6B768345BDD1.jpeg

That's a very sensible solution.

I'm always amazed at some cyclists' willingness to sit in a queue at a set of lights in 'car mode' (or unwillingness to filter, if you prefer). Maybe that's a question of the relative confidence levels of cyclists in Switzerland vs some in SE UK. Does this system rely on the cyclist filtering and being stopped at the front of the queue to push the button to get the extension or can you push the button at any time to let the system know you're about to start?

I drove through the Great St Bernard tunnel a few days ago and there were roadworks and one-way operation - the red phase was 20 minutes. I'd hate to be riding slightly uphill at the head of a queue of traffic for 5.6k.

Side note - that infographic's saddle seems a bit low :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its always a fine balance with temp lights...
  • get to front of queue and holdup all the cars behind you, but at least you get through whilst its still red for the other direction.
  • go behind the cars but risk getting honked if lights change
  • Jump the red at your side and ride the wrong side of the cones, as lets face it there is usually no work going on anyway. You can always wait at the other end and nip around the last bit / hole when the lights change.
If decent sight lines to may sure its a goer I usually use no3, its the pragmatic solution.

I drove through the Great St Bernard tunnel a few days ago and there were roadworks and one-way operation - the red phase was 20 minutes. I'd hate to be riding slightly uphill at the head of a queue of traffic for 5.6k.
Are cycles even allowed in it? I sure climb over the top subject to it not being covered in snow would be more pleasant^_^

Last edited:
Great idea - I have been caught half way through a set of road works a few times
mostly the car at the front waits for me - one time I did have a car come down right at me - no room to ride on the side safely so I just stayed in the middle
He OK and just stopped - the lorry behind him deliberately pullled RIGHT over to his right side to stop me going down the side of them

so the 'cyclist' button is a good idea - as long as it ia accessible!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As with so many things, confidence and polite, front of the queue, don't take any notice if the mobile lounge operator gets the hump you have as much right to be there as they do. Move off when green and ride through the works, I tend to hold a hand up in thanks as the mobile lounge makes up for those few lost minutes on the way to wherever and over takes with a roar of the engine.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Yes the button was easy to access although as pointed out you’d have to be at the front of the que as the button was on the light itself. The whole system was well signed and the previous signs informed cyclist to ride to the front to use the button, it was only when i stopped that i could grab a couple of crappy pics. Nice solution i thought.

steverob

Guru
I'd like that press button solution even if it didn't give me extra time, just to let the lights know that I was there. The amount of temporary traffic lights in rural areas near me that seemingly have their sensors only configured to pick up car shaped objects, meaning I have to potentially sit waiting at a red light for minutes until a car arrives behind me to trigger it, or take the risk and run the red anyway hoping that nothing is coming the other way (tough to do if you don't know how long the roadworks last for, e.g. if they go round a bend).

GuyBoden

Guru
There is no problem in the UK, this was fixed with the introduction of a simple Government advisory leaflet way back in 1999. :laugh:

"Signal Timings: Traffic signals should give
cyclists sufficient opportunity to pass safely
through road works, particularly where
oncoming motor vehicles cannot pass without
conflict."

Traffic Advisory Leaflet 15/99
December 1999
https://webarchive.nationalarchives...t.gov.uk/publications/tal-15-99/tal-15-99.pdf

And again here:
"When portable traffic signals are used, bear in mind when setting the timings that cyclists might take longer than
motor vehicles to clear the controlled section."

Safety at Street Works and Road Works
A Code of Practice
October 2013
https://assets.publishing.service.g...nt_data/file/321056/safety-at-streetworks.pdf

All you need is the Gov to publish a leaflet and everything will be fine.:wacko:

There is no problem in the UK, this was fixed with the introduction of a simple Government advisory leaflet way back in 1999. :laugh:

"Signal Timings: Traffic signals should give
cyclists sufficient opportunity to pass safely
through road works, particularly where
oncoming motor vehicles cannot pass without
conflict."

Traffic Advisory Leaflet 15/99
December 1999
https://webarchive.nationalarchives...t.gov.uk/publications/tal-15-99/tal-15-99.pdf

And again here:
"When portable traffic signals are used, bear in mind when setting the timings that cyclists might take longer than
motor vehicles to clear the controlled section."

Safety at Street Works and Road Works
A Code of Practice
October 2013
https://assets.publishing.service.g...nt_data/file/321056/safety-at-streetworks.pdf

All you need is the Gov to publish a leaflet and everything will be fine.:wacko:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yup - that'll sort it!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In Denmark all the cycle lanes are extended in front of the stop line for the cars. There is a set of lights for vehicles and another set lower down for bikes. The bike lights change to green before the car lights.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
In Denmark all the cycle lanes are extended in front of the stop line for the cars. There is a set of lights for vehicles and another set lower down for bikes. The bike lights change to green before the car lights.

they are advanced stop lines & early lights - completely different

Top Bottom