"ExTerMinAte!" "Am I bovvered?!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a bit peeved at The Doctor for allowing Catherine Tate into the TARDIS.

Firstly, it's difficult to watch without waiting for La Tate to break into "How very DARE you?" or "Am I bovvered?" at random moments - indeed we find ourselves saying her catchphrases for her at appropriate moments in the script.

Secondly, it feels like the producers have broken a compact. The Doctor's Assistant is a great role for an unknown actress. No-one thought Billie Piper could act until she got that role, and Freema Agyeman was just well brilliant and gorgeous. It seems like they've taken a great opportunity away from someone who could really use it.

Thirdly, well, would you really want to go hacking off around the Universe and all its timestreams with a rough old baggage like Donna? The series is losing its internal credibility. Just like Torchwood when Eoin Harpur could speak despite being dead and not moving air in and out of is lungs.

Peeved.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Twenty Inch said:
I'm a bit peeved at The Doctor for allowing Catherine Tate into the TARDIS.

Well, they didn't ask me!:angry:

Twenty Inch said:
Firstly, it's difficult to watch without waiting for La Tate to break into "How very DARE you?" or "Am I bovvered?" at random moments - indeed we find ourselves saying her catchphrases for her at appropriate moments in the script.

Agree. She's not done it so far, but I'm afraid.

Twenty Inch said:
Secondly, it feels like the producers have broken a compact. The Doctor's Assistant is a great role for an unknown actress. No-one thought Billie Piper could act until she got that role, and Freema Agyeman was just well brilliant and gorgeous. It seems like they've taken a great opportunity away from someone who could really use it.

Thirdly, well, would you really want to go hacking off around the Universe and all its timestreams with a rough old baggage like Donna? The series is losing its internal credibility. Just like Torchwood when Eoin Harpur could speak despite being dead and not moving air in and out of is lungs.

Peeved.

I agree there too. Torchwood lost it a bit for me then. Any sci-fi show is in trouble if viewers go 'Hang on...'

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Twenty Inch said:
Secondly, it feels like the producers have broken a compact. The Doctor's Assistant is a great role for an unknown actress.

Bonnie Langford wasn't a totally unknown and neither was Frazer Hines. Deborah Watling might not have been known for her acting, but she certainly wasn't unknown by reason of her family connections.
But, of course, there was only one assistant for me :angry:

bryann17.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
She's been surprisingly good, I think, and the dynamic is somewhat different to that of the other companions. I keep watching it wanting to not like her in the role, and finding myself unable to...

(And yes, Torchwood is and was pants. I keep hoping that it will get better).

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have to say I've never seen the Catherine Tate show... and I don't watch Dr Who (sorry! it went downhill after Tom Baker IMO)... but I did stumble acrcoss a YouTube vid of her show which really amused me.

I have to say that I'd have difficulty seeing her in a serious role though... but others have made such a transition (Robin Williams, Will Smith etc.)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
walker said:
Never watched Doctor Who so can't comment, so it was pretty much pointless me posting this post

[geeek mode on] If you did watch Doctor Who you would have known that Planet X (the tenth planet) was where the Cybermen came from (in one of the earlier series...) [/geek mode off]

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fnaar said:
David Tennant is the best Dr Who... ever! (runs for cover)

He's good, and I do enjoy the programme, but I did think Christopher Eccleston (sp?) was the more interesting character - I'd have loved to have seen that Doctor develop over two or three more seasons of the show.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
John the Monkey said:
He's good, and I do enjoy the programme, but I did think Christopher Eccleston (sp?) was the more interesting character - I'd have loved to have seen that Doctor develop over two or three more seasons of the show.
Yeah, Ecclestone was good, and I was really impressed... but DT is more entertaining IMHO. I like Catherine Tate in it too... but then I also liked Billie and Freema... grrr.... cold shower....grrr...cold shower

Top Bottom