1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"ExTerMinAte!" "Am I bovvered?!"

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Twenty Inch, 28 Apr 2008.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

I'm a bit peeved at The Doctor for allowing Catherine Tate into the TARDIS.

Firstly, it's difficult to watch without waiting for La Tate to break into "How very DARE you?" or "Am I bovvered?" at random moments - indeed we find ourselves saying her catchphrases for her at appropriate moments in the script.

Secondly, it feels like the producers have broken a compact. The Doctor's Assistant is a great role for an unknown actress. No-one thought Billie Piper could act until she got that role, and Freema Agyeman was just well brilliant and gorgeous. It seems like they've taken a great opportunity away from someone who could really use it.

Thirdly, well, would you really want to go hacking off around the Universe and all its timestreams with a rough old baggage like Donna? The series is losing its internal credibility. Just like Torchwood when Eoin Harpur could speak despite being dead and not moving air in and out of is lungs.

Peeved.

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

fourthly, Dr Who died the day that Scottich bloke took over from Chris Eccleston.

These days it's just a much-dragged-out publicity whore.

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Well, they didn't ask me!:angry:

Agree. She's not done it so far, but I'm afraid.

I agree there too. Torchwood lost it a bit for me then. Any sci-fi show is in trouble if viewers go 'Hang on...'

4. Renard

Renard Guest

Sylvester McCoy? :angry:

5. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

I have always expected Dr Who to travel with some hot tottie. Catherine Shate does not qualify IMHO

6. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

No, have stopped watching it because I really do not like her.

7. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

Bonnie Langford wasn't a totally unknown and neither was Frazer Hines. Deborah Watling might not have been known for her acting, but she certainly wasn't unknown by reason of her family connections.
    But, of course, there was only one assistant for me :angry:

bryann17.jpg

8. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

She's been surprisingly good, I think, and the dynamic is somewhat different to that of the other companions. I keep watching it wanting to not like her in the role, and finding myself unable to...

(And yes, Torchwood is and was pants. I keep hoping that it will get better).

9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Well I think it's great - each to his own eh...

10. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

I have to say I've never seen the Catherine Tate show... and I don't watch Dr Who (sorry! it went downhill after Tom Baker IMO)... but I did stumble acrcoss a YouTube vid of her show which really amused me.

I have to say that I'd have difficulty seeing her in a serious role though... but others have made such a transition (Robin Williams, Will Smith etc.)

11. walker

walker New Member

Never watched Doctor Who so can't comment, so it was pretty much pointless me posting this post

12. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

[geeek mode on] If you did watch Doctor Who you would have known that Planet X (the tenth planet) was where the Cybermen came from (in one of the earlier series...) [/geek mode off]

13. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

David Tennant is the best Dr Who... ever! (runs for cover)

14. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Sadly, so true.

15. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

He's good, and I do enjoy the programme, but I did think Christopher Eccleston (sp?) was the more interesting character - I'd have loved to have seen that Doctor develop over two or three more seasons of the show.