"ExTerMinAte!" "Am I bovvered?!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ecclestone was good but sadly must be regarded as traitorous scum for walking off after a year. Tennant's 1st season I thought was really good but it's gone downhill since there.

I don't like Catherine Tate either although she's not as annoying as I thought she would be. Since the Christmas special she seems to just shout occasionally rather than all the time. When she speaks normally it's almost all right.

TVC

The BBC at last came up with a winner in reviving Who, the first two series were fantastic drama. Now of course they've flogged the thing until it collapsed. Why could they not leave a couple of years between series, keep us waiting and give writers a chance to innovate and hone ideas to produce something special instead of churning them out a dozen at a time so they mire down into mediocrity like many other series.

The brilliance of Fawlty Towers and The Office lie in there rarity, stopping when the initial idea had run its course rather than milking it for year after year.

Tate and her 'Estuary Inglish' should be thrown from the top of Canary Wharf by the way.

Evilcat

Part of the problem is that the scripts are so variable. Russell T. Davies's scripts are pretty dreadful (e.g. the first ep of this series), but there have also been the likes of 'Blink' (and all the others by Steven Moffat), The Unquiet Dead, The Shakespeare Code and a few more that stand out as some of the best television in recent times.

Despite the reduction in shouting, I still don't find Catherine Tate as compelling a companion as la Piper/Agyeman. Maybe it's the Estuary English, or maybe it's just the character not allowing as much empathy. In Doctor Who's history the companions very quickly became an important means of representing and connecting with the viewer no matter which bizarre planet (OK, OK, disused quarry most of the time) they ended up on. This was certainly the case with Rose/Martha, but that connection just doesn't seem to be there with Donna.

The EvilCat is 41 years old...

atbman

Veteran
The Cybermen's motto: "We are the Cybermen and we are going to conquer the universe, v..e..r..y s..l..o..w..l..y"

OMIGOD, the cybermen are coming1 How will we escape?

Break into a gentle jog

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Patrick Troughton was the best Dr Who ever. His character was so much darker than the others. Sadly it became too much of a comedy program once Jon Pertwee took over.
And what happened to the picture of Nicola Bryant I posted ? ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
Yeah, Ecclestone was good, and I was really impressed... but DT is more entertaining IMHO. I like Catherine Tate in it too... but then I also liked Billie and Freema... grrr.... cold shower....grrr...cold shower

I think much the same - well, not the Billie and Freema bit of course. I liked CE, thought the dark brodding look but with occasional mad grin worked nicely, was sorry to see him go. But DT works just as well. And I had doubts about Tate, but she isn't as bad as I expected. Although I do keep expecting her to break into a catchphrase. Anyway, I dunno how long she'll last. Not if they are going to find a way of reintroducing Rose...

I came to Dr Who quite late, just towards the end of Tom Baker, but as I remember there were always some stories that were a bit more duff - that's the problem with any long running series. And times, and audiences, change. Weren't some of the old stories several weeks long? I don't think a modern audience would stick with that, too slow.

I think I'd like to see a return to more than one assistant perhaps, it might stop it becoming so much a "are they shagging?" thing, and introduce some more interesting other relationships. But again, perhaps not what a modern audience want.

And let's fact it, I'd watch David Tennant reading out the next pre-budget statement and enjoy it...

domtyler

Über Member
There has only ever been one true Doctor, I give you -

Tom_Baker_bt.jpg

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
And as The Doctor obviously forgot where he saw Donna's grandfather last, a reminder. But as it was 142 years in the future, perhaps he can be forgiven. ;)

DVD.jpe

col

Legendary Member
John pertwee is the main one that sticks in my mind as a kid,especially the large maggots one,and his little car.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Along with Big Brother, Doctor Who is a programme I have never watched. I'm quite proud of that accomplishment as well!

Top Bottom