External Di2 fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
So i spent the weekend fitting the Di2 externally on my Ti cx flatbar. having looked at and although it looks ok, i'm going to do something more retro and stealth so only 1 cable will be seen.

i'm getting to internally fit the battery inside the handlebars - current handlebar set-up below

20180107_124412.jpg

new handlebars being fitted with holes for di2 already drilled - the battery will go into the right side of the bars...the cable will come out just under the console that you can see by the stem. the sattelite shifter cable runs along the brake line and into the back of the console and the 3rd cable to the rear derrauiler will run down the down tube along the rear hydraulic brake line, then under the bottom bracket and along the underneath of the chainstay to the rear mech as pictured below.

20180107_123844.jpg

The battery gets charged via the console at the stem which also incorporates junction A.........

so internal battery, 1 shifter, 1 mech and 1 partially visible cable.......

one happy Jowwy

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks good

OP
OP
J

jowwy

looks good
fitted the new flatter wider bars and it looks better now........small hole underneath the bars for the di2 battery cable to come out and then just to fit the one cable all the way to rear mech which arrived today - so by the weekend i will have internally fitted di2 to a bike that was never meant to have internal di2 fitted.

if it ever goes back to drop bar mode - i will then purchase the new pro tharsis xc stem, which allows you to fit the battery inside the steerer column, so still only have 1 partially visable cable

loves a good fettle

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
fitted the new flatter wider bars and it looks better now........small hole underneath the bars for the di2 battery cable to come out and then just to fit the one cable all the way to rear mech which arrived today - so by the weekend i will have internally fitted di2 to a bike that was never meant to have internal di2 fitted.

if it ever goes back to drop bar mode - i will then purchase the new pro tharsis xc stem, which allows you to fit the battery inside the steerer column, so still only have 1 partially visable cable

loves a good fettle

still itching to get some miles in on mine :sad:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Could you also route the satellite shifter cable through the bars?
having looked at the routing last night i came up with a plan - will insert the battery into the left side of the handlebars leaving the right side clear for two things

1. routing of the satellite shifter cable
2. 2 small self tapping screws to mount the satellite shifter and removing the need for cable ties. gives it a more secure purchase on the bars too. think this would clean up the build

just a shame its not easy to drill titanium or i would make the hole slightly larger in the bottom bracket area and feed the cable through there to rear mech - where there is a drainage hole which could also be made slightly bigger too

Milkfloat

An Peanut
having looked at the routing last night i came up with a plan - will insert the battery into the left side of the handlebars leaving the right side clear for two things

1. routing of the satellite shifter cable
2. 2 small self tapping screws to mount the satellite shifter and removing the need for cable ties. gives it a more secure purchase on the bars too. think this would clean up the build

just a shame its not easy to drill titanium or i would make the hole slightly larger in the bottom bracket area and feed the cable through there to rear mech - where there is a drainage hole which could also be made slightly bigger too

Completely unnecessary - which is why I like it.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

All done except for the routing of the satellite shifter as the cable run was too tight for the short cable............

Just need to position the shifter in the right place now, will test it on a ride at the weekend and will drill the holes for the self tapping screws. 1400mm cable was spot for running full length of the frame and it now all looks a lot cleaner, than with the bulky battery holder on the bottle cage.

Not happy with the chainline, so just ordered a tiagra triple crankset, will strip off the chainrings and put a narrow wide chainring in the middle slot.......should help to bring the chainline in a few mm...........

Last edited:
Top Bottom