Eyesight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A few months short of 50 and I've finally succumbed to the need for reading glasses. I've adjusted pretty well, and they seem to be doing the trick nicely.

However, I've noticed that my distance vision seems to have suffered slightly, particularly in low light or hazy conditions. I'm going to book an eye test get it checked out, but I was wondering, is it possible to need classes for close work (reading) but also need them for distance work as well? I'm fairly new to the world of binos so this is all strange to me.

Could it be night myopia? Does anyone suffer with this and cann describe what it is like?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
A few months short of 50 and I've finally succumbed to the need for reading glasses. I've adjusted pretty well, and they seem to be doing the trick nicely.

However, I've noticed that my distance vision seems to have suffered slightly, particularly in low light or hazy conditions. I'm going to book an eye test get it checked out, but I was wondering, is it possible to need classes for close work (reading) but also need them for distance work as well? I'm fairly new to the world of binos so this is all strange to me.

Could it be night myopia? Does anyone suffer with this and canndescrive that it is like?
I've got reading glasses now and definitely need them! Just a blur without. I'm really starting to struggle with driving at night now so will mention it when my check up is due. I have distance glasses which help slightly but not as much as I would like.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have variofocal glasses, but have to take them off for any small print

My varifocal contact lenses are useless close up - especially when trying to read cooking instructions on packets :angry:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
As you reach the lovely milestone of 50, low light becomes harder and harder. I was practically born with x ray specs and every year things worsen, just little by little.

Adam4868

Guru
Im more distance,close up im fine.But ask me to read anything over six feet away.....think Mr Magoo !

I have just got my first prescription pair today. For ages I have been able to use the cheap pairs from the supermarkets as my eyes were matched, but now they are slightly different I need ones for reading and ones for distance. I decided to go for vary focals but can't get out of the habit of peering over them.

As Cycleops says, you have done well to get near 50 before needing readers. Age 40 onwards tends to be when the need for readers kicks in.

I've needed glasses from about aged 4 or 5, so you are also fortunate in that respect. No prizes for guessing how powerful mine are now at late 50s.

I know some people will put glasses on for driving only, so in a way that could be classed as distance.

Best to speak with the optician. I prefer to speak to the resident guy at the opticians as opposed to the locums.

An eye test can include checks for other eye issues as well as a script for glasses.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Yep, mirrors my experience pretty much. Started out a few years ago just needing reading glasses, distance vision was fine but found I was needing stronger reading glasses every year. Then distance vision started to go about a year or so ago so went down the full time wearing varifocal specs route. This has all happened in the last 3-4 years.

Brandane

Legendary Member
is it possible to need classes for close work (reading) but also need them for distance work as well?

Yes. Like others have said, close up vision is normally first to go, as it was with me. My distance vision was fine for a few years after needing reading glasses, but the distance vision gradually deteriorated too - so now I have to carry 2 pairs of specs around with me and change as necessary. Might try vari-focals at some point but have heard conflicting reports on them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5442269, member: 9609"]you'll have to get a glasses pouch for the handle bars - I went for polka dot, suits my colours.
View attachment 438843

as it happens I just got through my driving eye test thing last week - still don't need the specs for driving ^_^
but I can't read print now without readers on. poor short vision now[/QUOTE]
I won't mention the bar-tape, the hoods, or the luggage system :laugh:; I just need to know where that road is? It looks like cycling paradise to me! Since you're a reiver, it might not be too far away for me....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The trigger for me was when I bought an HD telly. "hmmm" I thought. "This isn't any better than the old one, it's still a bit blurry."
You know what, you might have something there! I have argued with my sisters and various other people who refuse to switch their sets to HD broadcasts of BBC1 etc., saying that they don't look much different to the SD channels, so why bother?

Perhaps their unassisted eyesight simply isn't up to the task!

D

Deleted member 1258

You know what, you might have something there! I have argued with my sisters and various other people who refuse to switch their sets to HD broadcasts of BBC1 etc., saying that they don't look much different to the SD channels, so why bother?

Perhaps their unassisted eyesight simply isn't up to the task!

We rarely bother with HD, the picture doesn't look much different to the standard picture, maybe we have a point.

Top Bottom