Eyesight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I've worn glasses from the age of 13 (short sightedness) but now I only need them for reading. I've had cataract surgery on both eyes, so they are both set for distance vision now, which means I don't need glasses unless I need to write something. I can see my computer screen ok and I can legally drive without glasses (although I do have a pair which protects against ultra violet light, so I sometimes wear them).

If any of you ever need cataract surgery its nothing to worry about - slight discomfort maybe at times but no pain.

I started to need reading glasses at around the age of 50.
My first pair was a very expensive pair of bifocals, they did not suit me because I was still taking them off for long distance reading, could not get used to the looking up thing.
Have been using cheapo ones from various outlets ever since - I'm 55 now.
Regular check ups are fine, but I know that I can't see well in dim lights, those energy saving street lamps cause me to cycle slower than my usual slow!
Same indoors at home: since switching to low energy bulbs, I can't, for example, check my tyres for debris after dark, even with glasses on.
I don't drive, so all good there.

I can highly recommend LED bulbs for the home. MUCH better than the other low energy ones. I have a 3 branch light fitting in the living room with 4watt LED bulbs. It is very bright and only using a total of 12 watts. I tend to just switch it on when I want to read a book in the evening.

The problem with the LED street lights is that although they shine bright it seems to be only in the area directly beneath them-no sideways illumination . The original street lights would illuminate a far wide area. Maybe the council is skimping on the wattage. From a relatively short distance away you cannot tell if they are on or not unless you look at the ground beneath them.

subaqua

What’s the point
A few months short of 50 and I've finally succumbed to the need for reading glasses. I've adjusted pretty well, and they seem to be doing the trick nicely.

However, I've noticed that my distance vision seems to have suffered slightly, particularly in low light or hazy conditions. I'm going to book an eye test get it checked out, but I was wondering, is it possible to need classes for close work (reading) but also need them for distance work as well? I'm fairly new to the world of binos so this is all strange to me.

Could it be night myopia? Does anyone suffer with this and cann describe what it is like?

Yes it is entirely possible to need 2 pairs. Or just get Varifocals . I hit mid 40s and discovered i needed them to see reading distance . Close close up work I have to take them off ..

Have worn specs since I was about 5 or 6

Not had any issue in low light or haze , so to misquote the Angry Uncle ... get yerself to the opticians sharpish and let them know.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I had an eye test because my long distance seemed to be suffering when sailing a model boat, Had trouble seeing it when it got to one of the bouys we sail round. So they did the test from about 6 foot away, Told me i should not be driving without the new glasses. First time i used them i had to take them off. My distance was better without them, took them back to specsavers, i was told long distance is only so far. got me money back, what i don't understand is how they can check your long distance from 6 foot away. I did the number plate test i can easily read a number plate from 20 metres.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Let me put it to you this way ... :whistle:

(Obviously, you need to watch it in HD to see what he is talking about!)

I haven't tried 4K yet. I suspect that might be more of a marketing ploy unless you like sitting very close to huge screens! I also thought 3D TV was a gimmick - I haven't even bothered to try the 3D glasses that came with my TV.

4K? that's yesterday's news. 8K is where its at, the coming thing for the must haves.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nobody has mentioned cataracts yet. Seem to be inevitable as you get older. I have had both eyes done. Magic!
I still need reading glasses but for distance vision and driving no specs. Driving at night vision has also improved and daytime I can see things at a distance that I had forgotten were there.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Doesn't everyone have imax in their homes?
Yes - Imax Thermo Fishing Suit 2 Piece :laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Bifocals here. I found an online retailer who does prescriptions, including cycling specs, at a reasonable price.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Long story short. Chainsaw accident had me run into the local opticians to remove the tree in my eye. Had my first check up there and then. Not legal to drive I found. Couldn’t get on at work or on the bike with glasses. I use contacts which I love. Optician asked if I wanted her to take into account whether I do much ‘desk type work’ which I don’t so she went for a prescription that suits my outdoor work and particularly cycling. I don't need them reading or with my iPad. Reading glasses will come in a couple of years she said.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nobody has mentioned cataracts yet. Seem to be inevitable as you get older. I have had both eyes done. Magic!
I still need reading glasses but for distance vision and driving no specs. Driving at night vision has also improved and daytime I can see things at a distance that I had forgotten were there.
Yes they HAVE...

I've worn glasses from the age of 13 (short sightedness) but now I only need them for reading. I've had cataract surgery on both eyes, so they are both set for distance vision now, which means I don't need glasses unless I need to write something. I can see my computer screen ok and I can legally drive without glasses (although I do have a pair which protects against ultra violet light, so I sometimes wear them).

If any of you ever need cataract surgery its nothing to worry about - slight discomfort maybe at times but no pain.
Didn't you have your reading glasses on? :whistle: :laugh:

lane

Veteran

Agree with that. However in my area the NHS will only do one eye due to cost cutting . My optition told me what to say to meet the criteria to get the second eye done. I told the consultant what I was told to say, and he went to away to obtain permision to do the other eye.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Agree with that. However in my area the NHS will only do one eye due to cost cutting . My optition told me what to say to meet the criteria to get the second eye done. I told the consultant what I was told to say, and he went to away to obtain permision to do the other eye.
Yeah, I had one eye done and had to get my eyes tested afterwards for new glasses. The optician asked me how the other eye was - no double vision or anything? I said "Actually yes, I do have that"... so she did another test and straight away told me she was going to recommend that they fixed the other eye. I got on a cancellation list and it was done within a month! (You have to be ready to go in at a moment's notice though... they rang me and said 'can you come in tomorrow'!)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes. Like others have said, close up vision is normally first to go, as it was with me. My distance vision was fine for a few years after needing reading glasses, but the distance vision gradually deteriorated too - so now I have to carry 2 pairs of specs around with me and change as necessary. Might try vari-focals at some point but have heard conflicting reports on them.

The bad reports you've heard have been from people who went to a discount optician. A lot of care has to be taken in measuring up the different zones and ordering the lenses. My optician took half an hour on that first time around. Once that's done right your brain will adapt to them in a few minutes and you'll be delighted with your clear vision both close and far with no apparent transition between.

My local optician is one of the few who has an MRI scanner for the eyes, he has already been able to detect early signs of disease and the NHS even sends him patients for scans. He's a top bloke as well and makes great cycling glasses.

Top Bottom