Eyesight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You been struggling to look at your neighbour through the telescope again?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We rarely bother with HD, the picture doesn't look much different to the standard picture, maybe we have a point.
I find it so different that it offends me when somebody assaults my eyes with SD! :laugh:

I am typing this on my phone and it would be a bit like me trying to do it without my reading glasses on. Hang on ... [removes specs]... Yes, just like that - blurry/fuzzy.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I got my first pair of specs last week at age of 56, distance vision was my main problem (mainly astigmatism), reading distance I'm still ok.
Got a free trial of contact lenses this week and they recommended 'monovision', one lens for distance and one lens for reading, which sounds very weird, so far it seems to work but it is a bit odd, think I'd still prefer specs for certain situations.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A few months short of 50 and I've finally succumbed to the need for reading glasses. I've adjusted pretty well, and they seem to be doing the trick nicely.

However, I've noticed that my distance vision seems to have suffered slightly, particularly in low light or hazy conditions. I'm going to book an eye test get it checked out, but I was wondering, is it possible to need classes for close work (reading) but also need them for distance work as well? I'm fairly new to the world of binos so this is all strange to me.

Could it be night myopia? Does anyone suffer with this and cann describe what it is like?

Yes, it is possible. very common really.

My distance vision is rubbish so I have contacts/glasses (hate the things) and reading glasses too.

Prepare yourself for a steady decline. :thumbsup:

Also, by the time you are 65 around 75% of the population will be suffering from posterior vitreous detachment. :ohmy:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I started to need reading glasses at around the age of 50.
My first pair was a very expensive pair of bifocals, they did not suit me because I was still taking them off for long distance reading, could not get used to the looking up thing.
Have been using cheapo ones from various outlets ever since - I'm 55 now.
Regular check ups are fine, but I know that I can't see well in dim lights, those energy saving street lamps cause me to cycle slower than my usual slow!
Same indoors at home: since switching to low energy bulbs, I can't, for example, check my tyres for debris after dark, even with glasses on.
I don't drive, so all good there.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm thinking we need some new forum sub-sections based on age ranges
I started to need reading glasses at around the age of 50.
My first pair was a very expensive pair of bifocals, they did not suit me because I was still taking them off for long distance reading, could not get used to the looking up thing.
Have been using cheapo ones from various outlets ever since - I'm 55 now.
Regular check ups are fine, but I know that I can't see well in dim lights, those energy saving street lamps cause me to cycle slower than my usual slow!
Same indoors at home: since switching to low energy bulbs, I can't, for example, check my tyres for debris after dark, even with glasses on.
I don't drive, so all good there.

That's a heck of a feat riding slower than 5mph - especially over a sustained distance. :laugh:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Gonna talk to Mrs D, get myself an eye test.

D

Deleted member 1258

I find it so different that it offends me when somebody assaults my eyes with SD! :laugh:

I am typing this on my phone and it would be a bit like me trying to do it without my reading glasses on. Hang on ... [removes specs]... Yes, just like that - blurry/fuzzy.

Being a cinic I'm not convinced that it's any more than a marketing ploy, a way of parting us with our cash. We've got an old Toshiba Regza, a forty inch, we get a very good standard picture with it, nothing fuzzy or blury.

D

Deleted member 1258

Erm, it's actually a microwave. That live autopsy programme you watched was a chicken tikka cooking.

^_^ We don't have a microwave, our Son had one when he moved back in, but he took it with him when he moved back out. I've never used one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Being a cinic I'm not convinced that it's any more than a marketing ploy, a way of parting us with our cash. We've got an old Toshiba Regza, a forty inch, we get a very good standard picture with it, nothing fuzzy or blury.
Let me put it to you this way ... :whistle:

(Obviously, you need to watch it in HD to see what he is talking about!)

I haven't tried 4K yet. I suspect that might be more of a marketing ploy unless you like sitting very close to huge screens! I also thought 3D TV was a gimmick - I haven't even bothered to try the 3D glasses that came with my TV.

Top Bottom