F R Russell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ten minutes of tinkering this morning and hey presto normal service is resumed .

I found an old 5 speed block in my spares pile and promptly removed the faulty one and fitted it .

And a quick 3 mile road test later the old girl is up and running again . ^_^

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A great 26 miles this morning on this now 5 speed machine .

An absolute pleasure to ride no matter what the condition .

IMG_20180224_072814619.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ten minutes of tinkering this morning and hey presto normal service is resumed .

I found an old 5 speed block in my spares pile and promptly removed the faulty one and fitted it .

And a quick 3 mile road test later the old girl is up and running again . ^_^

A dodgy freewheel is so annoying isn't it? The one on my horrible old "vintage" Apollo hack kept intermittently sticking and throwing the chain, despite having had a light oiling. As a last resort yesterday, I absolutely drowned the cluster, rear mech, and chain in engine oil and immediately went off on a road test. It got better and less sticky the more I rode. After an hour I was getting discomfort which was telling me the handlebars were too low, so I came back and raised them as far as they would go. Back out for another road test and much better, ended up being out for 2 1/2 hours including tinkering time. Freewheel is perfect now and doesn't need removing after all!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A cracking 47 miles this morning on this old girl .

IMG_20180310_072028471.jpg

Loads of climbing for Northamptonshire is 2200 ft . All managed on a 5 speed set up .

IMG_20180310_063217969.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Refresh as in give it some lube and put the Schwalbes and mudguards back on, or refresh as in send the frame away for a lick of paint/powder coat?
You were threatening to refinish it a couple of years ago.

Thoughts are to get it powder coated and then re build but tomorrow is another day :laugh:

Top Bottom