F R Russell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
In the last two days me and this machine have done 60 miles and enjoyed every single one of them .

IMG_20171223_065122999.jpg

It's proving to be a worthy winter bike .

woodbutcher

Veteran
In the last two days me and this machine have done 60 miles and enjoyed every single one of them .

View attachment 388183

I can't say the same about my intended winter bike since its too big for me to ride comfortably.....just have to stick to this one, hard life is it not ?
By the way, happy Christmas Mr. Biggs. May we find more dream machines in 2018:cuppa:

Attachments

• 2017-04-25 12.27.27.jpg
    2017-04-25 12.27.27.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I can't say the same about my intended winter bike since its too big for me to ride comfortably.....just have to stick to this one, hard life is it not ?
By the way, happy Christmas Mr. Biggs. May we find more dream machines in 2018:cuppa:

@woodbutcher i just normally start looking around August for something interesting and cheap then get it ride and fine tune pre to winter starting so its run in and ready to go come winter .

And a happy Christmas to you and yours and yes to lots of nice bikes in 2018 for all

wonderdog

Woodbutcher, if you're on Facebook, go to Retro Cycling Marketplace Australia and have a look at the 80s era Faggin listed there for lots of money ... we don't get as much of the good stuff in Australia but this is seriously noice. Cheers and bestests to all for now and years to come.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Woodbutcher, if you're on Facebook, go to Retro Cycling Marketplace Australia and have a look at the 80s era Faggin listed there for lots of money ... we don't get as much of the good stuff in Australia but this is seriously noice. Cheers and bestests to all for now and years to come.
Holy smoke ! just had a look and it would seem to be almost the same as the one l have. A little while back sent a photo of it to Faggin for their archive but haven't heard back from them yet. Thanks for the link, pity it is a bit pricy shipping to Australia or we could start supplying some tasty Italians (bikes that is) ^_^ Here's another pic.of my baby....

Attachments

• 2017-06-25 13.33.08.jpg
    2017-06-25 13.33.08.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have had a look as well and it's nice for sure .

Think I will keep my Italian Legnano for now .

Thinking of treating the F R Russell to a full refinish come the spring but then I might just not .

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have had a look as well and it's nice for sure .

Think I will keep my Italian Legnano for now .

Thinking of treating the F R Russell to a full refinish come the spring but then I might just not .
Wise move to hang on to your Legnano. Im not sure if l am correct but it seems to me that there is a real demand for nice '80s or earlier Italian bikes. I base this feeling solely on the fact that there are fewer around for sale in Italy and the prices are strong .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another 36 damp miles this morning , time for a clean me thinks.

IMG_20171226_082900812.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well longest ride to date on this machine done this morning after some pre ride lubrication and cleaning of the chain .

I thought at one stage i might need a periscope as i came across one section of flooded road and quite a few big deep puddles , but we survived .

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Looks rather too good for those sort of duties to me! I suppose it's all relative and really depends on how nice your "best" machines are.

My idea of a winter hack is more like something that was rescued out of someone's rubbish bin and is pretty horrible with no attractiveness about it to spoil with salty road slush.

I do like the fact there seems to be an appreciation on parts of this Forum for proper old bikes that actually look like bikes, not like something produced by an industrial injection moulding machine.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SkipdiverJohn this was bought to be my winter / bad weather road bike due to its condition ie if it gets dropped on some ice or whatever then it aint going to matter to much .

Once the winters done i will either tuck it away in the corner of the garage and leave till next year or treat it to some fresh paint etc etc

I suppose it's all relative and really depends on how nice your "best" machines are.

My idea of a winter hack is more like something that was rescued out of someone's rubbish bin and is pretty horrible with no attractiveness about it to spoil with salty road slush.

Best machines are 1980's 'Aero' Ian May Cycle , Legnano and i suppose this The Pollard has arrived although this has done some winter rides .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Top Bottom