F R Russell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Agreed, Every so often someone asks a very stupid price for something on eBay and we all go :wacko:.

This having been said, while the price of some Italians is high due to the full Eroica effect, there are still bargains from less sought after marques, your Carrera is a great example of this.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Whats your opinion of this Colnago frame ? I could never afford a finished bike but l just wondered if it would be worth a punt and then build it up as and when funds allowed. The same seller has a set of bars and the stem which l guess came from the same bike. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/frame-Colnago/162824044134?hash=item25e911be66:g:qyIAAOSw0A9aRKxe

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I try to avoid the temptation to chase things up on eBay, you tend to get carried away and what starts out as a bargain soon ceases to be a sensible purchase.
My method is to look for things badly described with poor pictures and a low start price. Indicates the seller either doesn't know what they're selling or they just aren't interested. I whack in a bid that I'm happy to pay and forget about it until the auction finishes. If I win, I get a bargain, if I don't win my cash stays in my pocket.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Another 37 miles this morning on one of my favourite bikes and route

Ridden anti clockwise the hill's are no where near so bad which is good when you are on a 1 x 5 set up

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Woke up early and I needed a retro bike fix so grabbed this old girl and set off .

IMG_20180215_073755086.jpg

Despite rain, chain coming off a few times it was a magical 20 miles .

Whats your opinion of this Colnago frame ? I could never afford a finished bike but l just wondered if it would be worth a punt and then build it up as and when funds allowed. The same seller has a set of bars and the stem which l guess came from the same bike. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/frame-Colnago/162824044134?hash=item25e911be66:g:qyIAAOSw0A9aRKxe

You will be much better off stuffing a few quid in a tin on a regular basis and building up a fighting find to get a complete bike. Building up a good frame needs “good” stuff and good stuff costs, a complete bike is far better value,

I know this contradicts a post I made the other day, but I’ve been looking at the price of 1st generation C record recently and....:eek:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You will be much better off stuffing a few quid in a tin on a regular basis and building up a fighting find to get a complete bike. Building up a good frame needs “good” stuff and good stuff costs, a complete bike is far better value,

The only thing to recommend buying on a piecemeal basis is the cost of each chunk of the build is smaller, but it generally will work out more overall. If you are fussy and want the whole thing in-period, there are bound to be odd elusive bits that bump up the cost.

I also mess around with old cars and I can tell you it's almost always cheaper to buy a whole donor car with no documents and strip it for parts, than it is to go looking on eBay for hard to find odds and ends. The leftovers can be swapped or kept as spares for a future project.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Had a favourable quote yesterday to get this old girl in a single colour and have a pr of bottle cage mounts added , so just got to decide to have it done or not once the winter has finished

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any idea what the frame is made of? IIRC, you mentioned early on in the thread it was quite a light bike, and the cottered steel cranks can't be helping in that respect!
If you do this one up and make it too nice, you'll have to get yourself another winter bike for next year......

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Any idea what the frame is made of? IIRC, you mentioned early on in the thread it was quite a light bike, and the cottered steel cranks can't be helping in that respect!
If you do this one up and make it too nice, you'll have to get yourself another winter bike for next year......

no clue what tubing but presume 531 and agree re steel cranks but they look right on it

getting another winter bike wont be an issue at all , its the would i sell this afterwards or keep it ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I suppose if you decide to refurb it, you could accurately weigh the bare frame whilst stripped and make a note of the figure, then compare it to a known 531 frame of the same size. Am I right in saying it's a 23" size? Looks roughly that from pics. There must be a few forum members with various sets of bare frame & forks hanging up in sheds that could be weighed for comparison..

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I suppose if you decide to refurb it, you could accurately weigh the bare frame whilst stripped and make a note of the figure, then compare it to a known 531 frame of the same size. Am I right in saying it's a 23" size? Looks roughly that from pics. There must be a few forum members with various sets of bare frame & forks hanging up in sheds that could be weighed for comparison..

Yes i think its either 23 or 23 1/2" cant remember i have enough frames or complete bikes to compare it with

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
9.6 Miles into one of my 11 mile loops this morning i lost drive , so after a quick look over i noticed that the rear freewheel has stopped engaging so i can only presume the pawls and internals all need a good clean and refreshen up

Top Bottom