F.w evans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Bike now complete and riding well
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
Looks great - nice job cleaning it all up! Are you planning on wrapping the bars or leaving as is? I'm not normally a fan of bare bars, but on that bike I think they complement the chrome chainstays and fork ends rather nicely!

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
I quite like the idea of them unwrapped it's something else for me to polish because I haven't really got a picture of one of these to copy from the bars aren't in to bad condition and they look ok

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
I'm never quite sure what is the best position for the handlebars and brake levers is it just a personal preference thing?. When I look at the pics they look like they need turning a bit

stevevw

Guru
I would rotate the bars so the tops are level and the hooks are angled down slightly so they are at a natural angle to hold. Then position the levers to be comfy on the hoods and to be able to use the brakes on the drops too. I would then use cloth tape on the bars or at least put some champagne corks in the ends of the bars.
Hope this helps. But hey it's your bike your choice.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Another similar bike on ebay with frame number 7147 with bill of sale for jan 1948 so makes mine on frame number 7458 about 1949 wish I had the spare cash to buy it would love another one be interested to see what it goes for starting bid of 199 think mine might be in better nick than this one but it still looks nice

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Took the Evans out for a run this afternoon shame I don't ride it more will have to think seriously about parting with it to someone who would probably use it more than me How often do you guys ride your old bikes and do you keep them for sentimental reasons? Not sure that just keeping it in the garage is the best thing for it

ChrisEyles

Guru
My 1960s ten speed I use for long-ish weekend long rides, maybe twice a month on average. My 1950s roadster (now being replaced with an even nicer 1937 one) I use for evening short pootles or the occasional weekend ride with Mrs Chris, probably about the same amount (but less miles). The commuter (a modern tourer) sees the lion's share of the miles I do and gets used most week days. A new arrival is a 90s MTB for weekends on the moors or at a trail centre, which will be strictly an off-road beastie. All four bikes are very different from one another so I feel kind of justified in keeping them all... on the other hand, Mrs Chris makes do perfectly well with her Saracen hybrid for pretty much all the types of riding I do (and a rental MTB for the trail centres), and loves it to bits.

Its a bit of a shame to have a nice bike sitting in the garage, especially when like you say someone else could get a lot of enjoyment out of it... but if you think you'd miss it if you sold it, my advice is to keep it and make a conscious effort to ride it a little more. What the bike's worth to you and what you'll get for selling it are not necessarily the same thing!

andyhux

BDA5C7AD-64C5-438C-A802-0313FCF51DEA.jpeg
Just come across this post. I’ve got an F W Evans bike that I’m looking to sell but first I need some information on what to look for and what kind of value I should be aiming to get. My bike looks similar to the one in the photos and wondered if anyone could help me.

View attachment 403583 Just come across this post. I’ve got an F W Evans bike that I’m looking to sell but first I need some information on what to look for and what kind of value I should be aiming to get. My bike looks similar to the one in the photos and wondered if anyone could help me.

What you have there is an Alan or a Vitus upon which someone has affixed a set of FW Evans stickers. C. 1986/7 Shimano six speed cassette on tubs? Biopace rings and down tube shifters.

Does it creak though?

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
My fw Evans is still waiting for a bit of good weather before it goes out hopefully in the next couple of weeks around the roads of the Wrexham area

andyhux

What you have there is an Alan or a Vitus upon which someone has affixed a set of FW Evans stickers. C. 1986/7 Shimano six speed cassette on tubs? Biopace rings and down tube shifters.

Does it creak though?

No creaks on this bike. As soon as the weather is better I’m going to take a good look around this bike and see what’s going on with it.

Top Bottom