F.w evans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rhm

Have been trying to date the frame since I got it there is a frame number but I have nothing to compare it to could the lugs be made by elka as have seen a evans with these lugs the bike is coming along quite well at the moment considering I onlyworkon it at weekends thanks for all the info from everyone I do read everything I can find about the bike in the hope I can date it properly
The lugs do resemble Ekla, but I'm pretty sure they're Brampton. Check this out:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/brampton/Brampton_BB.html

This (1935?) Evans has the same graphics as yours:
http://reddevilmotors.blogspot.com/2014/08/f-w-evans-cycle-1935.html

This (1937?) one has the frame number 4491:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bikes/evans-townsend-rb.html
But I don't know if that means anything, not knowing where the owner got the date. Possibly from the 1937 hub; which is not necessarily original.

I would try to figure out when they changed the graphics.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
My frame number is 7458 the graphics and decals all appear to be intact but no no mention of Reynolds tubing those Brampton lugs do look correct I suppose they would fit in with the mid 50s era brake levers are unmarked there were hoods but they were completely ruined I am thinking about a period rear deraiileur might have to be a christmas present to myself the one question I have not asked about is its value any ideas anybody

rhm

You can determine the tubing easily enough: what size is the seat post? Butted Reynolds 531 or Accles & Pollock Kromo would take a 27.0 or 27.2 seat post. I'm guessing it is 531.

Value? What do I know. I'd guess 300-400 gpb for the frame, 100 for the wheels, 100 for the brakes and front changer. If you were selling it, you'd get the most by parting it out, which most of us would probably find distasteful. But I don't believe the parts are original to the bike. The frame is from the 30's-40's, the parts from the 50's.

For a "period correct" build you might consider a Sturmey Archer 3- or 4- speed hub.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Have been doing some research on the date of the frame and my best guess on it after hours on the net is somewhere close to 1947 anybody disagree

rhm

1947 is in the range of possible, sure. What makes you think 1947 rather than, say, 1942?

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Tried to find all the info on net with definite frame numbers there was a 1949 with a number about 9300 which is 600 more than mine so based on about 300 a year production thought some where about 1947

rhm

Okay, I'll buy that. Good sleuthing!

That's pretty excellent, really, 'cuz that is close enough to the date of the 1950s gear that came with it.

I'd still recommend a simple Sturmey Archer drive train, just get an AW or (better) an FW hub from the right period, preferably with an alloy shell, and you'll have a great 'club' style ride if that period.

Did you tell us what wheel size you have?

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Wheels are dunlop lightweight 27 x1 1/4 both are in good condition and have cleaned up well no work on it this weekend due to daughter moving to new apartment dad duties needed

rhm

Good! The 27" wheels are also consistent with a 1947 date. EA1 (26 x1¹/4“) was common on earlier bikes, but gradually disappearing after the introduction of 27" in the late 30s.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Good! The 27" wheels are also consistent with a 1947 date. EA1 (26 x1¹/4“) was common on earlier bikes, but gradually disappearing after the introduction of 27" in the late 30s.
Thanks for all your help with trying to date this bike when I first posted it I didn't expect so much interest in this bike over 1000 views in a month proves to me it must have some rarity always happy to recieve any more info anyone might have

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Few hours work on the bike today cleaned and adjusted rear brakes the brake blocks will need changing they are fitted with fibrax 289 blocks are they good enough or do I need to be looking for something else . Also looking for info on tyres am thinking amber wall budget is not huge so don't want to spend a fortune

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Latest pics of the work in progress still need a few bits to finish it but not too far away now
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom