F.w evans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Rod changer still in the 1960 catalogue and also a rod changer of a different type was shown in the 1950 catalogue. The two pictures below from Classic Lightweights show early and late levers.

gb1945.JPG
gb3-200.jpg

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
The brakes seem to fit the info given as early 50s the levers had hoods on them which have totally dissenter grated don't think there is an adjuster screw on the front but they do look more like the pre 50s version handlebars are gb maes a lot of the info given and found leads to early to mid 50s be interested to see what the bottom bracket and rear hub is I'm sure the huret rear derailleur is not original but will worry about that at a later date

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Little bit more info the rear free wheel is a suntour pro compe gold with a huret svelto deraiileur not original but not really sure what would be I have got a suntour v x gt derailleur would this be a better option than the huret

stevevw

Guru
Little bit more info the rear free wheel is a suntour pro compe gold with a huret svelto deraiileur not original but not really sure what would be I have got a suntour v x gt derailleur would this be a better option than the huret

Suntour too young. Go to the VCC website find some early 50's catalogues and choose something from them. Benelux, Cyclo, Campagnolo or Simplex. That sort of thing.

This is a bike that has given great service to its riders for nigh on 60 years. I too have 60+ years of wear and tear. I am sympathising with the poor old thing. It works. It bears some scars. It has seen a lot of changes in its time. It copes with the modern world despite all. Leave it alone. Yes, a wash and brush up and a few new consumables is fine. But I don't want my character changed. Nor does the bike.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Decided to try the seat post today came out a treat tap with mallet and it was free it is a Reynolds R5 very long then got really carried away and had a go at the head clip as well that came out easy as well all now greased and put back together starting to look better now will do more next week and post more pics

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Pedals seat and wheels got a good clean today will take it to local bike shop for recabling anybody got idea what colour cable also handle bar tape colour still to choose with no pics to work from any ideas? Hoping to have ready soon for first ride out

rhm

That Evans is very lovely!

I heartily agree with those who suspect the frame is older than many or most of the components. The Benelux rod changer is from the late 50's, and I don't believe the chainset is any older. The brakes are, I'm guessing, mid 50's. But I believe the frame is older.

I don't know how old. But here is what I know:

I have a Fothergill made with the same lugs, though a different fork crown. The bottom bracket shell on mine is an oil bath unit: the cups thread into a removable cylinder held in by two bolts in the bottom. Mine has Chater Lea rear dropouts. I don't know how old my Fothergill is, but it is obviously a lot older than 1950. The lugs etc are, I believe, Brampton; and were made in the late 30's. The frame may have been assembled later; the bicycle industry went into a bit of a hiatus during the war, and when they started building frames again the pre-war lugs are the only available stock. So I believe my frame was made either a little before WW2 or immediately after it. There's a faint possibility it was made during the war, but I think that unlikely.

I attach a photo that shows the lugs pretty well. I got it as a bare frame, so the components are not original.

At any rate you are very lucky to have found this Evans, especially with its original paint in such beautiful condition!
IMG_6188.JPG

rhm

Here's the bottom bracket of my Fothergill. Look familiar?

Attachments

• DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 59
OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Have been trying to date the frame since I got it there is a frame number but I have nothing to compare it to could the lugs be made by elka as have seen a evans with these lugs the bike is coming along quite well at the moment considering I onlyworkon it at weekends thanks for all the info from everyone I do read everything I can find about the bike in the hope I can date it properly

Top Bottom