F.w evans bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Am looking to try and get a period 50s cyclo rear derailleur for the bike been outbid on fleabay for 2 don't suppose anybody has one lying around anywhere for sale at a reasonable price or knows what else could be used

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Took it out for the first time this morning a few adjustments on gears but it is so smooth and handles amazingly well can't wait for next time out on it
image.jpg

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Think you are right about the cotter pin didn't notice at the time too excited to get it on the road the bike in the background is my carlton criterium will sort out the cotter pin tomorrow if I can

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
One thing I forgot to mention I now have the saddlebag and a karrimoor uplift bracket which was on it my man at my little junkyard sent me a text to say he had found them baycliff bag bit tatty but looks ok

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Sorted out the cotter pin today now ok having a bit of trouble centre ing the brakes a bit of rubbing going on .is there an easy way of doing this or just trial and error really pleased with the way the bike performs it is so smooth and seems to ride a lot faster than my other

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Have finally managed to get hold of a 1950/s cyclo benelux deraiileur from ebay should have it on the bike for next weekend went for nice ride out on the bike today seem to have all the gremlins sorted out now but found the saddle a bit uncomfortable after about 20 miles the bike performed well even ended up with 2 other cyclists taking photos of the bike fame at last?

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
After getting a nice benelux deraiileur for the bike thought I would try to put it on today 4 hours later one broken gear cable and a lot of bad language still not working properly have decided lbs can suffer the joys of it in future will stick to what I had was working fine now it's not time for a drink

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
Have had to admit defeat with the benelux deraiileur .after buying off ebay as a 5 speed and struggling to make it work properly my lbs has just informed me it is in fact a 4 speed no. Joy there then so we have put on a 1974 suntour vx which shifts really nicely all new cables and running well took it out for 25 miles today and it was great May just leave it alone now and enjoy riding it will post some pics at weekend of finished project

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
@Swifty the cyclo benelux just needs a spacer to make it hit the 5 gears. I have had the same problem on both of mine and they are definitely 5 speed. Undo the back but that holds the mech to the frame/hanger. Then you undo the front that has 2 holes in it. This is a pain but can be done. That separates it from the hanger. Then place a washer between the hanger and the mech and then put back together.

OP
OP
Swifty

Swifty

Über Member
@Swifty the cyclo benelux just needs a spacer to make it hit the 5 gears. I have had the same problem on both of mine and they are definitely 5 speed. Undo the back but that holds the mech to the frame/hanger. Then you undo the front that has 2 holes in it. This is a pain but can be done. That separates it from the hanger. Then place a washer between the hanger and the mech and then put back together.
That is very clever never thought of that will have a look at that over the weekend the bike created quite a stir at the local bike shop with lots of people interested in it thanks tony for the advice

Top Bottom