Face masks on public transport.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Must admit, I'd be a little nervous of helping others just now, but would still do it if they seemed the type to be courteous. I do use sanitiser every time I have to open a gate on the NCN, though. Mostly smooth iron work, perfect surface for virus survival. Most I see just operate them as normal without a second thought, maybe I'm over thinking it, but it takes almost no effort for peace of mind.

I am trying to open kissing gates using my feet at the moment. But some keep looping the rope to hold them shut or there is a latch.

dodgy

I am trying to open kissing gates using my feet at the moment. But some keep looping the rope to hold them shut or there is a latch.

Wondering how long some of these curious habits we've developed will stick around for years to come.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I watched 5 people get on a bus yesterday in Chesterfield.... all with masks ..... after they had paid and sat down 3 of them took the masks off ... ?????:rolleyes:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Isn't that a Catch-22 ?

We'll only be able to test that it's no longer in circulation once everyone has taken their masks off. But if we're wrong about that ...
I don’t think that’s correct. Antibody tests, swab tests and reported cases will tell us the level of infection in the community.

MarkF

Guru
Well it may lead to redesign . I’m acutely away every time I go in a village shop you often have to pull a handle to get out. A handle every other shopper will have touched.

You get on the bus, you touch the door/rail, you'll probably touch something else whilst you are paying, then the seat, then the buzzer for your stop, then the rail out of the bus. Wear a mask and I guarantee you'll touch your face far more than normal. I agree with the below, it's guidance that I just don't believe in.

Prof Nicola Stonehouse, Professor of Molecular Virology, University of Leeds, said:
“The World Health Organisation’s advice is clear. Although a medical mask can offer some protection, the use of masks in a community setting is not supported. Furthermore, mask wearing can result in a false sense of security, and enhanced risks that come from touching the face. This seems to me to be another political decision, rather than one based on scientific evidence.”

Rocky

Hello decadence
You get on the bus, you touch the door/rail, you'll probably touch something else whilst you are paying, then the seat, then the buzzer for your stop, then the rail out of the bus. Wear a mask and I guarantee you'll touch your face far more than normal. I agree with the below, it's guidance that I just don't believe in.

Prof Nicola Stonehouse, Professor of Molecular Virology, University of Leeds, said:
“The World Health Organisation’s advice is clear. Although a medical mask can offer some protection, the use of masks in a community setting is not supported. Furthermore, mask wearing can result in a false sense of security, and enhanced risks that come from touching the face. This seems to me to be another political decision, rather than one based on scientific evidence.”
That quote is from 4th June. A month is a very long time in the science of Covid. The Royal Society report strongly recommending masks is much more up to date and provides far stronger evidence.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Anyone see that article on the bbc about a group of people beating a bus driver into a coma and leaving him brain dead because he wouldnt let them on unless they had masks on??

How petty these peoples lives must be to basically murder someone who is following the rules because they did not want to.

I think i read that there were 5 attackers and one of them has been caught, though im going to have to follow up on the info

disgusting people.

::EDIT::

here we are...

The driver in Bayonne had refused to allow several people - who had no tickets and were not wearing masks - to board the bus on Sunday night

a.twiddler

Veteran
It's a high price to pay for doing your duty. Wearing a face covering in Southern France is mandatory so there could be no confusion. Just goes to show there is an element who think that they can do as they please in every society. We can only hope that these low lifes are caught and suitably dealt with.

Landsurfer

Veteran
It's a high price to pay for doing your duty. Wearing a face covering in Southern France is mandatory so there could be no confusion. Just goes to show there is an element who think that they can do as they please in every society. We can only hope that these low lifes are caught and suitably dealt with.
The BBC report said that arrests had been made ....

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I was reading a report this morning about an incident in Spain where Police approached a man on a bus who was wearing a mask incorrectly - his nose was uncovered. When he refused to comply they handcuffed him and dragged him off the bus. Can't see that happening here.

screenman

Legendary Member

If others were wearing a mask there may be fewer contaminated surfaces.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I bought a pack of 10 from Amazon on 10th Feb for £10.75.

Now it's 50 for £16.79 next day delivery

-

View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/General-Disposable-Face-Mask-Pack/dp/B086Q8R4VS/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=face+masks&qid=1594217211&sr=8-11

Top Bottom