Face masks......where to buy them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Mmmm I'm not sure about that - ideally you'd want people to wear it properly. But if an improperly worn mask covered the mouth and not the nose of an infected individual, it would still reduce the viral load in the air. I have no evidence to support this - just common sense.

Interesting research topic for someone to do, though!!

I think now you're splitting hairs. If a mask should be worn, and it should, it should be worn properly.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I think now you're splitting hairs. If a mask should be worn, and it should, it should be worn properly.
I think the point was that, is an improperly worn mask, better than no mask?

The governments current reasoning seems to be no, its worse.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I'm not trying to split hairs or be difficult but in reality people's face coverings aren't going to be 100% effective. In an ideal world, people would wear them properly but we know that's not going to happen. To illustrate my point the following from an article on masks shows that if high numbers of people wear an ineffective mask, it still makes a difference

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 19.59.48.png

(Taken from https://www.fast.ai/2020/04/13/masks-summary/)

MntnMan62

Über Member
I think the point was that, is an improperly worn mask, better than no mask?

The governments current reasoning seems to be no, its worse.

I get that. And I guess an improperly worn mask is better than none at all. But I don't understand why that point is even being debated by your government. The whole idea is that people should be wearing masks. By the government making the case that an improperly worn mask is worse, they are trying to build a case for saying no one needs to wear masks. The entire conversation is silly since the SCIENCE shows that wearing a mask can prevent the spread of the virus for BOTH the person wearing it as well as those around them.

I'm not trying to split hairs or be difficult but in reality people's face coverings aren't going to be 100% effective. In an ideal world, people would wear them properly but we know that's not going to happen. To illustrate my point the following from an article on masks shows that if high numbers of people wear an ineffective mask, it still makes a difference

View attachment 536180

(Taken from https://www.fast.ai/2020/04/13/masks-summary/)

So, we are on the same page. And I wholeheartedly agree with the title of the model which says properly wearing a mask can potentially stop the virus altogether. That's the only way to explain the large drop in cases in the US before the moron suggested we start opening up again.

And while I find it insane that your government could even consider the concept that an improperly worn mask is worse than not wearing one at all, I just have to look at my own country and our fool in the White House to see just how insane someone can be. The message is wear a freaking mask.

Mike_P

Guru
Boris & Co got it into their heads that everyone would rush out and buy the masks the NHS etc so depriving the NHS etc of them, instead of paying much attention to what could be used instead. Its not helped by the media who immediately change face covering to mask😷 Hence the apparent reluctance to require face coverings to be worn which if had happened a few months back there would no doubt have been less than 45,000+ deaths and a seemingly unknown hoard of people alive but with severe problems:wacko:

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Boris & Co got it into their heads that everyone would rush out and byte the masks the NHS etc so depriving the NHS etc of them, instead of paying much attention to what could be used instead. Its not helped by the media who immediately change face covering to mask😷 Hence the apparent reluctance to require face coverings to be worn which if had happened a few months back there would no doubt have been less than 45,000+ deaths and a seemingly unknown hoard of people alive but with severe problems:wacko:

Boris could have taken a cue from the US which faced a similar issue and experienced a mask shortage in the beginning but it was short lived because some people actually have brains and can figure out how to make their own masks that actually work.

MarkF

Guru
It's not the wearing of a mask, or it's arguable capabilities in preventing the spread of anything, I wear one 8 hours day, I know an N95 masks capabilities. It's the compulsion to make me and others do something we see as not only pointless, but silly, debating their merits is just obfuscation. I am not a virus denier nor a hoax or conspiracy believer, I have a very middle of the road view compared to many at my work but I think it's one big contagious goverment(s) mess up that is causing more damage than the virus ever could/will.

In a nutshell, I am being compelled to wear something that I believe offers no proven nett benefit against a threat that is now infinesimal in an ineffective and convoluted manner. That is a step too far for me in this madness, months earlier and I'd have gone for it.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Mmmm I'm not sure about that - ideally you'd want people to wear it properly. But if an improperly worn mask covered the mouth and not the nose of an infected individual, it would still reduce the viral load in the air. I have no evidence to support this - just common sense.

Interesting research topic for someone to do, though!!

Although probably more of a priority to work how how the virus is spread which we still seem to be somewhat in the dark about after 7 months

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Boots do packs of 3 German NEQI 3-ply washable masks for £15.00. Looks expensive but they should last a year at least.

Buffs are good. Most of them can be folded double and still cover the nose and mouth. You can then put a flattened paper coffee-filter cone between the two layers. With the short side at the top, it is the perfect shape for triple protection over nose and mouth. Can be a good idea if you know you will be near particularly vulnerable people.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Teachers in Scotland will wear face masks if they can't keep 2m from students. I don't think this is the intention in England.

MntnMan62

Über Member
It's not the wearing of a mask, or it's arguable capabilities in preventing the spread of anything, I wear one 8 hours day, I know an N95 masks capabilities. It's the compulsion to make me and others do something we see as not only pointless, but silly, debating their merits is just obfuscation. I am not a virus denier nor a hoax or conspiracy believer, I have a very middle of the road view compared to many at my work but I think it's one big contagious goverment(s) mess up that is causing more damage than the virus ever could/will.

In a nutshell, I am being compelled to wear something that I believe offers no proven nett benefit against a threat that is now infinesimal in an ineffective and convoluted manner. That is a step too far for me in this madness, months earlier and I'd have gone for it.

You may "believe" a mask "offers no proven nett benefit" but the science behind it indicates something very different from what you "believe". While you may feel that those who debate in support of wearing masks are just obfuscating, if the science is actually on the side of the person who supports wearing masks, then who is really obfuscating here?

I forgot to post a link about masks. Here it is.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...s-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom