Face masks......where to buy them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
You may "believe" a mask "offers no proven nett benefit" but the science behind it indicates something very different from what you "believe". While you may feel that those who debate in support of wearing masks are just obfuscating, if the science is actually on the side of the person who supports wearing masks, then who is really obfuscating here?

But the "science" is not proven to be on any side, it's for or against depending on what you want to believe, like cycle helmets!

Obfuscation, is the debate about masks effectiveness (not their supporters) when the threat they are to "protect" me from is today practically not there.

And if you can make a solid case for wearing one today, be prepared to wear one forever. I've already come to terms with wearing one 8 hours a day for my last 3 working years.

Rocky

Hello decadence
But the "science" is not proven to be on any side, it's for or against depending on what you want to believe, like cycle helmets!

Obfuscation, is the debate about masks effectiveness (not their supporters) when the threat they are to "protect" me from is today practically not there.

And if you can make a solid case for wearing one today, be prepared to wear one forever. I've already come to terms with with wearing one 8 hours a day for my last 3 working years.
You are simply wrong about the science. I have been posting links - Vallance has been quoting it today. Face coverings act as a source control. The evidence is incontrovertible. You are simply spreading misinformation and I do wish you would stop it.

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 19.37.15.png

MntnMan62

Über Member

And if you can make a solid case for wearing one today, be prepared to wear one forever. I've already come to terms with wearing one 8 hours a day for my last 3 working years.

Actually, that's not accurate. There is science that is proven. I forgot to post a link but it's there now. Take a read.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Nothing is proven

https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/cloth-masks-are-useless-against-covid-19

Like l said earlier, l don't want to get into an interminable link fest. It's pointless. You believe, great go ahead, l've no problem, but don't think l think that you are protecting me and wackily deserve a reciprocal arrangement.

It's still obfuscation, the virus is pretty much gone outside of hospitals and care homes.

All you've given us is a link of some interviews with some people in the healthcare field. They are merely pontificating their point of view but none of them have provided empirical evidence to support their position. They have proved nothing. We've provided studies that include lab testing and the results of those tests which determined the ability of various materials to stop the passage of small particles approximating the size of the covid virus and the droplets that they travel on. You've chosen to ignore those tests. That's your prerogative. But you haven't proven your point even remotely.

You are just as guilty of obfuscation here. Providing empirical evidence is not obfuscation. Far from it. And at this point, no one cares to protect you from anything. You're free to contract the virus as you see fit. Will you end up being one of the many lying on their death bed gasping for breath as you say "I made a mistake. I thought it was all obfuscation. I was wrong."?

MarkF

Guru
All you've given us is a link of some interviews with some people in the healthcare field. They are merely pontificating their point of view but none of them have provided empirical evidence to support their position. They have proved nothing. We've provided studies that include lab testing and the results of those tests which determined the ability of various materials to stop the passage of small particles approximating the size of the covid virus and the droplets that they travel on. You've chosen to ignore those tests. That's your prerogative. But you haven't proven your point even remotely.
And neither have you, don't you get it?

When will you feel safe? How many more people are you OK to see die via a lockdown more than the virus will take? How many jobs/futures/homes are you OK with seeing lost before you are OK with living normally again?

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

MntnMan62

Über Member
And neither have you, don't you get it?

When will you feel safe? How many more people are you OK to see die via a lockdown more than the virus will take? How many jobs/futures/homes are you OK with seeing lost before you are OK with living normally again?

Well, according to you. I've provided test results. You've supplied nothing but conjecture. And now you make statements that are just ridiculous.

"How many more people are you OK to see die via a lockdown more than the virus will take?" So, tell us, how many people have died due to the lockdown and not from the virus?

And I've said it before, money will never take precedence over the lives of tens of thousands of people.

You clearly don't get it and I'm not going to bother explaining it to you anymore. Have a great day.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We're being told that if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons,you shouldn't ask your GP for an exemption certificate. Instead you should argue your case with those who will try and stop you entering a shop,or those who will fine you(police)for not wearing one. If you do end up being fined you can then argue your case in court,either in person or by letter. What happens if you argue your case and you win,yet end up being fined again? Do we repeat the whole process over and over again? I'm going to carry a mask,but not wear it all the time due to medical reasons. I'm expecting to be one of those who'll either be fined,or frowned upon by those who comply with every government order. Oh,and i wish the government would advise...even order people to not drop worn face masks after they've done with them,but to dispose of them correctly/hygienically. I see these blue surgical masks dropped in supermarket car parks,even a hospital car park the other day and wonder if those dropping them are the same ones who bleat on about how we should all be forced to wear them to 'stop the spread of the virus'.:rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'll take my chances in Court. I'll be happy to waste public money and then produce my medical evidence to the magistrate. Again and again, and again.
Fortunately, from what I'm hearing our local lot are fairly pragmatic. It would seem that people who have a sensible conversation with them over the matter are seeing sensible resolutions.

Rocky

Hello decadence
We're being told that if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons,you shouldn't ask your GP for an exemption certificate. Instead you should argue your case with those who will try and stop you entering a shop,or those who will fine you(police)for not wearing one. If you do end up being fined you can then argue your case in court,either in person or by letter. What happens if you argue your case and you win,yet end up being fined again? Do we repeat the whole process over and over again? I'm going to carry a mask,but not wear it all the time due to medical reasons. I'm expecting to be one of those who'll either be fined,or frowned upon by those who comply with every government order. Oh,and i wish the government would advise...even order people to not drop worn face masks after they've done with them,but to dispose of them correctly/hygienically. I see these blue surgical masks dropped in supermarket car parks,even a hospital car park the other day and wonder if those dropping them are the same ones who bleat on about how we should all be forced to wear them to 'stop the spread of the virus'.:rolleyes:
If I am asymptomatic and happen to be visiting your local shop when you are in there, Accy, you’ll be pleased that I am wearing a mask.

My son is a junior doctor who has been working on Covid wards for the last 4 months. If you’d seen the awful tragic deaths he’d seen, you’d be wearing your mask more often. It won’t hurt you. It might prevent someone dying.

Drago

Legendary Member

Absolutely The WHO have summarised all the leading research on the matter, and continue to review new research and update their advice accordingly. Their current stance is that face coverings or masks offer only a "very slight" (a direct quote) benefit. Note that they refer to masks or face coverings, not medical grade respirators or military respirators (there is really no such thing as a "surgical mask", only different grades of medical mask that technically become respirators higher up the scale of efficiency). The WHO state that wearing a mask or face covering reduces the chances of the wearer infecting another person by only 3 to 11%, and offer no protection to the wearer against infection by C19.

The WHO also state that the wearing of face coverings by undisciplined, untrained personnel may actually increases the chances of cross infection as they handle contaminated face coverings, and bring their hands to their face more frequently in order to fit and remove them.

The only thing that is changing is not the scientific advice, but the frenzy being whipped up by the media and a gullible and scientifically illiterate population believing the guff. If you want definitive advice go the the .gov or WHO websites, and ignore anything that is not from a source with proper scientific provenance.

The name of the game with face coverings is not to protect anyone, as their effect is too slight for that. It is to give the public confidence to get back out to work and to shops and get the economy moving, not as some kind of miraculous force field to save us all.

If anyone is wearing face coverings in the belief that it makes them or those around them safer, then they've already failed.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To keep it simple (even with a less than perfect anology)
1594977460792.png

Just remember that if you touch your peed on pants that you can spread the urine, so make sure you wash your hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom