Face masks......where to buy them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
No doubt Father Christmas face masks will be all the rage this year 🎄🎭🎅

MntnMan62

Über Member
Me and my home made mask. Full coverage, three layers of bandana and a paper towel filter inside and no leakage.

IMG_0134.jpeg

We're being told that if you can't wear a mask for medical reasons,you shouldn't ask your GP for an exemption certificate. Instead you should argue your case with those who will try and stop you entering a shop,or those who will fine you(police)for not wearing one. If you do end up being fined you can then argue your case in court,either in person or by letter. What happens if you argue your case and you win,yet end up being fined again? Do we repeat the whole process over and over again? I'm going to carry a mask,but not wear it all the time due to medical reasons. I'm expecting to be one of those who'll either be fined,or frowned upon by those who comply with every government order. Oh,and i wish the government would advise...even order people to not drop worn face masks after they've done with them,but to dispose of them correctly/hygienically. I see these blue surgical masks dropped in supermarket car parks,even a hospital car park the other day and wonder if those dropping them are the same ones who bleat on about how we should all be forced to wear them to 'stop the spread of the virus'.:rolleyes:

Personally, I'll just wear some form a face covering. Staff in shops have worked hard and in a vulnerable, yet essential role, they don't need me making their life harder. Plus, having vulnerable family members, I wouldn't want to think I played a part in making someone else's condition worse.

Where I have an issue, is that it effectively stigmatizes some people who also have enough issues at the moment, as it forces people with underlying conditions to be publicly identifiable, or to stay indoors and lose a bit of independence. I get the argument that they should be the ones taking precautions, I would expect the majority do, but there will be some that can do that without having to explain themselves if they need a loaf of bread.

I have no idea what the solution to that is, or if it's really even an issue. I just thought I'd float it out there.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Personally, I'll just wear some form a face covering. Staff in shops have worked hard and in a vulnerable, yet essential role, they don't need me making their life harder. Plus, having vulnerable family members, I wouldn't want to think I played a part in making someone else's condition worse.

Where I have an issue, is that it effectively stigmatizes some people who also have enough issues at the moment, as it forces people with underlying conditions to be publicly identifiable, or to stay indoors and lose a bit of independence. I get the argument that they should be the ones taking precautions, I would expect the majority do, but there will be some that can do that without having to explain themselves if they need a loaf of bread.

I have no idea what the solution to that is, or if it's really even an issue. I just thought I'd float it out there.

The way things work in the NY Metro area (20 million people) is everyone must wear a mask in stores. Period. That means shoppers and staff. If you don’t have a mask, you won’t be doing any shopping. Mask wearers are not the ones stigmatized. It’s those who don’t wear a mask who are stigmatized. But I have yet to see anyone not wearing a mask at the supermarket. What I do see are people not wearing them properly. Sometimes they will not cover their nose. But even that is rare. The issues we have are with people going to a local walking path that circles a reservoir. It is not very wide and about 2 miles around. Because it’s narrow, just walking by someone is taking a risk so masks are required. But there are those who don’t. And people will call them out, leading to arguments. But the vast majority feel that we need to wear masks to be safe. Our state, NJ, has been able to do better than other states like FL. But we are still seeing an increase. It’s because people are having private parties and not wearing masks or going to parks and not wearing masks. It’s not rocket science. The ONLY thing that works is social distancing and wearing a mask.

MntnMan62

Über Member
^^^^ yebbut how do you see out?

That’s just some glare. I see just fine.

winjim

Smash the cistern

'Won't somebody think of the autistics?', the rallying cry of libertarian whackjobs everywhere. It's not exactly new though, using autistic people to further an anti-science, conspiracy theory agenda.

I share your concerns though. I expect the vast, vast majority of autistics to mask up, even those who find it uncomfortable, but there may well be some for whom it is just intolerable. I did see someone suggest that we just arrest those without masks and let the police sort it out, but just imagine an autistic person suddenly confronted like that and dragged off to the station. That could be very distressing and could easily trigger meltdown or shutdown, which unless the police have proper training would just exacerbate the situation.

Again, even though I think the problem is vastly overstated, I don't know what the solution is, but dragging disabled people off to the cells certainly ain't it.

MarkF

Guru
It's unworkable, silly & convoluted nonsense, the wearing of masks are we are being told to do, it's not about masks per se. If it was mandatory mask wearing outside of your home, I would understand it, if not believe in it. But it's not, it is lunacy.

MntnMan62

Über Member
It's unworkable, silly & convoluted nonsense, the wearing of masks are we are being told to do, it's not about masks per se. If it was mandatory mask wearing outside of your home, I would understand it, if not believe in it. But it's not, it is lunacy.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom