Face masks......where to buy them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Shadow boxing, or VR ? I'm glad I'm a cyclist TBH. I can get away from folk ! I said to my wife back in February that a Gym probably isn't the best place - my wife hated classes after spin, as the floor was full of sweat. As a turbo trainer/Zwift user when necessary, I can't for the life of me think why you'd go to a warm humid gym, with no air flow and do spin - I'd melt. I turbo in a cool garage, with a fan right in front of me on max, with a microfibre towel over the bars, and water to hand. I sweat like a pig even when the garage is close to freezing.

It's a proper boxing club, just had a new ring put in before shutdown. It has changing rooms but no showers or washing facilities, you use the toilets that other businesses in the office block have. For early morning gym users like me, it's relied on us to clean the equipment down, because there are no staff there, there are no paid staff, it's all voluntary.:sad:

It is a science based decision because it was proven with the biggest case study on the planet. The United States of America. But hey, you go on thinking whatever it is your thinking. I've been wearing a mask when going into stores and around other people since the very beginning back in late February or March and continue to do so because THEY WORK. Deny it all you want but you would be and are wrong.

You are off on one again.^_^ We have different opinions but I am happy for you to hold yours.:okay:

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
Back to the original question. Cotton ones are £2 in several local shops now. I suspect it's not unconnected with Poundland selling 3 for £5 ;)
There were plenty for sale on a stall in Leeds market today, wished I'd checked the price. I do believe somebody at work was sacked for nicking masks and selling them on Ebay.:ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's a proper boxing club, just had a new ring put in before shutdown. It has changing rooms but no showers or washing facilities, you use the toilets that other businesses in the office block have. For early morning gym users like me, it's relied on us to clean the equipment down, because there are no staff there, there are no paid staff, it's all voluntary.:sad:

It's venues like this that will struggle - there for the benefit of all, but can't open. :sad:

MntnMan62

Über Member
You are off on one again.^_^ We have different opinions but I am happy for you to hold yours.:okay:

You're entitled to your opinion as well. Only mine isn't an opinion. It's fact. That's what science is. Fact. Based on real empirical evidence. I'll hold onto my facts and you hold onto your opinion. I guess we're done then. :laugh:

MntnMan62

Über Member
He isn't denying it, the question in the UK is why now? Why not from March 24th (can't remember exact date) or even before if it's so important, why was the advice specifically not to wear them?

I can't speak for what the UK leadership's basis was. But I can speak for what took place in the US. From day one there were mixed signals and even now the signals from our government are all jumbled up. I can't speak for others here in the state either. I can only speak for myself. And from the beginning, no matter what the drumpf administration was saying, I wore a mask and have been social distancing. It's the only thing that made sense. And it's the only thing that still makes sense. Again, my fellow US citizens decided that everything suddenly changed, so they ignored the social distancing and threw the masks away. And what happened? Tens of thousands of cases and many more deaths to come. My own perspective.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't speak for what the UK leadership's basis was. But I can speak for what took place in the US. From day one there were mixed signals and even now the signals from our government are all jumbled up. I can't speak for others here in the state either. I can only speak for myself. And from the beginning, no matter what the drumpf administration was saying, I wore a mask and have been social distancing. It's the only thing that made sense. And it's the only thing that still makes sense. Again, my fellow US citizens decided that everything suddenly changed, so they ignored the social distancing and threw the masks away. And what happened? Tens of thousands of cases and many more deaths to come. My own perspective.

Most of the UK population are doing what's advised, unlike a rather alarming number of US citizens.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't believe it is a science/health based decision, it cannot be due to it's convoluted implementation, so it is a political one, for reasons yet to be come clear.
And yet, several times, you've been shown the science.

The recommendation to wear masks in enclosed spaces, especially where social distancing is difficult, is now based on clear and generally accepted science. That is true whether or not you think the government's political implementation of that science is competent or confused.

MarkF

Guru
And yet, several times, you've been shown the science.

Nope, I've been shown scientific opinions and like l said right back, l don't want to get
into an interminable tit-for-tat link fest by posting counter "science" links.

It does remind of the helmet debates, its common sense innit? However, when the negatives are considered it's hard to prove a definite worthwhile nett benefit. That's my opinion and it's not going to change just like my helmet opinion won't either.

It is worth noting that the WHO's about face on face masks having first not recommended their use came about via political lobbying, not any science....

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Nope, I've been shown scientific opinions and like l said right back, l don't want to get
into an interminable tit-for-tat link fest by listing counter "science" links.

It is worth noting that the WHO's about face on face masks having first not recommended their use came about via political lobbying, not any science....
Not true. I have the scientific reports that changed the WHO’s views sitting in front of me at this very moment (written by my wife and her colleague Jeremy Howard).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom