Face masks......where to buy them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
So you're moving the goalposts now, not everybody is stupid who doesn't wear a mask then?

I'm not moving anything. I'm showing that I am not inflexible. You must be one of those who sees everything as black and white. No nuance. No subtlety. No gray areas. I won't say what that kind of thinking indicates then. Out of respect of course.......:rolleyes:

lane

Veteran
Ok. Good luck to you. Just realize that of those who do get the virus and survive, many are left with permanent major organ damage that can be life changing.

Yeah I know. Just one of the reasons I have been trying to avoid becoming infected.

MntnMan62

Über Member
So you're moving the goalposts now, not everybody is stupid who doesn't wear a mask then?

I know it seems like I'm being compative or agrumentative just for the sake of being compative and argumentative. That's not the case. I do admit to becoming a bit too aggravated while discussing these topics and it's probably a good idea to refrain from these topics. My reaction stems from what I see as people ignoring the science and the experts on the matter. That by itself wouldn't be so bad but my being in the US where there are more cases than anywhere else and more deaths than anywhere else, it frustrates me that people are unwilling to do something as simple as wear a mask in situations where they cannot social distance and are around lots of people. Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience and shows respect for other people's health and welfare. If I have said anything personally demeaning towards you, I apologize. That is truly not my goal.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmmm indeed. I don't wear a mask when I'm out on the bike riding either. Why would you wear a mask when working out and exercising? At least the US is smart enough to have closed the gyms. So if you are working out you ought to be working out alone or with someone you share your house with. Otherwise, that might put someone in that "other" category.

The UK closed gyms.

Gyms are reopening at the earliest from 25th July, which was somewhat of a surprise as there was a lot of commentary that they'd open later possible October.

Even though 25th they can reopen, it remains to be seen how many open on that date. Many that do open will reopen with much reduced capacity and group activities removed.

MntnMan62

Über Member
The UK closed gyms.

Gyms are reopening at the earliest from 25th July, which was somewhat of a surprise as there was a lot of commentary that they'd open later possible October.

Even though 25th they can reopen, it remains to be seen how many open on that date. Many that do open will reopen with much reduced capacity and group activities removed.

So far, we have not heard anything about the timing of the reopening of gyms in the US. They remain closed, especially in my area in the NY/NJ Metro area. Given how off the charts our new case numbers are, I'd say it's going to be a very long time before that happens.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So far, we have not heard anything about the timing of the reopening of gyms in the US. They remain closed, especially in my area in the NY/NJ Metro area. Given how off the charts our new case numbers are, I'd say it's going to be a very long time before that happens.

We do not know the reasons why the UK reopened things when they did, a lot has likely been political. The phase 3 stuff for the UK did coincide when the ONS reported dramatic drops most weeks in virus levels. That's meant things have been sudden and a bit rushed.

The gym I go to has banned all groups. Even if it hadn't I think it's too high risk to go and participate in a group of up to 10 people. I stopped going in February. There are serious consequences of this because I believe it'll go out of business. Similarly churches reopened here in July, my parents have been to two services of 30 people which I think is too high a risk, but there you go. I went into town today and went in a bookshop where I was surprised that 75% of people were wearing face coverings and I went in a coffee shop for takeaway where I was surprised tables have been reinstalled indoors and there was substantially more business than 1&2 weeks ago when I looked in to see how it was doing.

Despite a lot of people on this board at home and a small contingent of Scottish posters semi-constantly voicing worries about the virus spreading from 'England', the levels of the virus in most places are low. There are local outbreaks and higher in some areas, sadly as has been throughout the world from Singapore, China, Spain and Australia to name but a few. The track and trace system is the thing to worry about.

MarkF

Guru
My reaction stems from what I see as people ignoring the science and the experts on the matter.

Those people may be accepting, not ignoring, science from experts that you probably disagree with. I don't get my opinion on wearing masks in the UK on the 24th July from my cat! I don't believe it is a science/health based decision, it cannot be due to it's convoluted implementation, so it is a political one, for reasons yet to be come clear.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Those people may be accepting, not ignoring, science from experts that you probably disagree with. I don't get my opinion on wearing masks in the UK on the 24th July from my cat! I don't believe it is a science/health based decision, it cannot be due to it's convoluted implementation, so it is a political one, for reasons yet to be come clear.

It is a science based decision because it was proven with the biggest case study on the planet. The United States of America. But hey, you go on thinking whatever it is your thinking. I've been wearing a mask when going into stores and around other people since the very beginning back in late February or March and continue to do so because THEY WORK. Deny it all you want but you would be and are wrong.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I won't be going near a gym - my wife is a member, but she will probably go to the pool for a swim early on as she's missed that. Classes etc, can't see how they would run safely.

I had someone suddenly pull her mask over her face when she saw me approaching on my bike, I was 3-4m off to the side - some folk are very scared - then others don't get social distancing at all.

I hate shopping as it is, so may see if we can get an on-line delivery slot by next year ! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

He isn't denying it, the question in the UK is why now? Why not from March 24th (can't remember exact date) or even before if it's so important, why was the advice specifically not to wear them?

MarkF

Guru
I won't be going near a gym - my wife is a member, but she will probably go to the pool for a swim early on as she's missed that. Classes etc, can't see how they would run safely.

I had someone suddenly pull her mask over her face when she saw me approaching on my bike, I was 3-4m off to the side - some folk are very scared - then others don't get social distancing at all.

I hate shopping as it is, so may see if we can get an on-line delivery slot by next year ! :laugh:

My gym is attached to a boxing one, it's a charity but relies on donations too. I can't see how it can survive, it doesn't have facilities that can be adapted and if it did, it doesn't have any money. Would be funny to see boxers wearing face masks whilst trying to knock each others brains about.^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My gym is attached to a boxing one, it's a charity but relies on donations too. I can't see how it can survive, it doesn't have facilities that can be adapted and if it did, it doesn't have any money. Would be funny to see boxers wearing face masks whilst trying to knock each others brains about.^_^

Shadow boxing, or VR ? I'm glad I'm a cyclist TBH. I can get away from folk ! I said to my wife back in February that a Gym probably isn't the best place - my wife hated classes after spin, as the floor was full of sweat. As a turbo trainer/Zwift user when necessary, I can't for the life of me think why you'd go to a warm humid gym, with no air flow and do spin - I'd melt. I turbo in a cool garage, with a fan right in front of me on max, with a microfibre towel over the bars, and water to hand. I sweat like a pig even when the garage is close to freezing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He isn't denying it, the question in the UK is why now? Why not from March 24th (can't remember exact date) or even before if it's so important, why was the advice specifically not to wear them?
Boris's government are the sort of all or nothing cockwombles who can't cope with saying they don't know yet, so when told there's no good evidence for them, they went hard line against them and probably killed thousands by consequences. :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom