Face masks......where to buy them??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not read the whole thread, but being eternally tight I made my own (thanks to an internet guide written by a grown-up) out of the postman's discarded 'laccy bands and a couple of sheets of kitchen paper..

I like these as they're basically free and when I'm finishished with them I can re-use the elastic bands on the next mask and use the kitchen paper for whatever non-hygiene-related task one usually would. This avoids any potential recycling issues that might arise from using dedicated disposible masks made from multiple materials.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have bought a couple of buffs but I have 2 problems with them:

1) They make my neck hot,
2) I keep wanting to call them muffs, which is another article of clothing.

netman

Veteran
I have bought a couple of buffs but I have 2 problems with them:

1) They make my neck hot,
2) I keep wanting to call them muffs, which is another article of clothing.

Try their 100% merino wool ones - much better than the man made fabrics I found...

tyred

Legendary Member
I made my own but maybe I would have been better to use the most recent release...

EVSaLV-XsAAcTGT.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've got my woodwork one still. Hang it out for a dose of UV to keep it "sanitised". I suspect these disposable ones could equally be hung out in the air/daylight for UV decontamination. Doesn't take much UV at all AFAIK.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Doesn't need to be a mask. Do you not have a cycling buff you can use? I haven't been to the supermarket since it became compulsory here but that's what I'm going to use.
I'm sure you'll wear it well Mo!:okay:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I did a bit of googleing. And I learned two things. First, there are some everyday products lying around your house that offer excellent filtering capabilities. Second, how the mask fits is equally as important for it to be effective.

So, studies show that a paper towel alone filters out 96% of 1.0 micron sized particles. Compare that to N95 masks that filter out 99%. So, what I’ve done is to take a bandana, which alone only filters out 36%, and I put the paper towel in the open bandana. I then fold the bandana over the towel so there are 3 layers of bandana plus the paper towel. I don’t fold the paper towel so that I get the most coverage from the towel. When I go food shopping I put it on before I get out of the car and tie it behind my head. I tie it nice and tight so there are no gaps and my entire face is covered. It fits better than the surgical mask that I also have. And after I’ve worn it for a bit I just rinse out the bandana, toss the paper towel and replace it with a new one. And I’m not running around looking for a store that has them in stock or trying to find them online. This works for me. Fingers crossed that the studies are correct. I'm sure someone will say that the covid particles are much smaller than 1 micron. That's true. But the covid particles are attached to moisture droplets that we humans emanate that are larger than 1 micron. I would definitely not feel good about using just a bandana as alone they are probably the worst filters. But the paper towel plus 3 layers of bandana I figure gives me as good protection as a surgical mask. Lots of other ways to make a homemade mask. This one requires no sewing or cutting. Just place, fold and tie. Nothing much more simple than that.

Mike_P

Guru
Re this morning news of possibly having to wear one all the time outside, that will for me detract from cycling somewhat as in winter I usually find a buff is too restrictive in terms of air flow on steep climbs and if I persist with the buff it is pretty soaked at the top of the climb. In the absence of a cycle helmet with deep clear visor looks like the ebike might be getting some extra use.

screenman

Legendary Member
Re this morning news of possibly having to wear one all the time outside, that will for me detract from cycling somewhat as in winter I usually find a buff is too restrictive in terms of air flow on steep climbs and if I persist with the buff it is pretty soaked at the top of the climb. In the absence of a cycle helmet with deep clear visor looks like the ebike might be getting some extra use.

Different news to the one i saw which basically said that was not going to happen, mixed messages again I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom