Facebook. Others have done it. My turn now. Dumped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
You don't need to defriend people these days on FB. You can just set it so you can not see a certain persons feed on the timeline.
I had a (cycling) friend who posted so much stuff that it really got on my wick so I defriended him. They changed the options so now I am back friends with him without having to see all his postings.
I have friends who seem to exist merely to post photos of their children in every possible situation - they get blocked after a while. Apart from anything else I think it unfortunate that those children's entire existence is out there in public, and they can never take it back.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have friends who seem to exist merely to post photos of their children in every possible situation - they get blocked after a while. Apart from anything else I think it unfortunate that those children's entire existence is out there in public, and they can never take it back.
But probraby not the general public. Most people I know set it so that only FB friends can see their feeds.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
But probraby not the general public. Most people I know set it so that only FB friends can see their feeds.
That's true, but don't forget that FB own those photos is perpetuity. But it's more the fact that all the posters' friends will have seen all those family photos throughout the children's growing up, and the children have had no say in that public display. That can't be taken back.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's true, but don't forget that FB own those photos is perpetuity. But it's more the fact that all the posters' friends will have seen all those family photos throughout the children's growing up, and the children have had no say in that public display. That can't be taken back.
I wouldn't worry about FB owning the pics. There's millions of pics posted daily. Only those with silver foil hats need worry.
It's really not that much different to showing all the family all your pics from your Kodak instamatic over the years.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I would have been mortified to have reached my teenage years and found my parents had posted hundreds of pictures of my childhood on the internet for all to see. It is bordering on child abuse.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I would have been mortified to have reached my teenage years and found my parents had posted hundreds of pictures of my childhood on the internet for all to see. It is bordering on child abuse.
That's my point - the babies/children aren't in any position to make an informed choice about it. If parents need their children in order to have a Facebook identity, perhaps they should stand back and have a think. Don't get me wrong, I think it's lovely, and natural, that parents should be proud of their children, but it's another thing when the end result of that is that the children's growing up is shared in detail, and sometimes daily, online.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Which raises the other issue of dishonesty and corruption!

If you "buy" a "Like" by offering a discount or free service / goods.........is it not simply bribery?
Talking about dishonesty and corruption, what about all those "copy and paste this message into your status updates so that scammers can buy adverts on the hashtag or linked website (or exploit the insecure linked website) later" things? People fall for chain letters all over again, as long as you make them look slightly different... :-(

Tin Pot

Guru
Sometimes people look at you...and they can remember it later! You can never take that image back!!

Top Bottom