Facebook. Others have done it. My turn now. Dumped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Errm try telling me something I don't know. The cross platform privacy issues are quite separate from the point being made.

I've only read the thread vaguely so was just trying to help.

Reactions: mjr
Pals at work keep showing me pics of women I work with, its like a game, I can't recognise them from their profile pics because they have been "enhanced" so much

:smile:

standard rule. women don't usually look anything like their FB pics in real life.

Remember the old phrase "the camera never lies"?

Wonder why you never hear it much anymore?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I've got 8 friends on Facebook, and an anonymous account, with an anonymous email address, and a VPN so that FB knows even less about me.

Last edited:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Each to his own. Yes, it can be a time waster, but equally, if I think about what sort of things have been transmitted via Facebook over the past year, they include:

marriages, births, deaths, serious illness, recovery from serious illness, divorces/break-ups
humour, politics, photos, current events
educational stuff, contact with distant friends
shared music, cycling club events, publicity for concerts and races,

...and probably a lot more.

I'd get by without it (and without a mobile phone), as I did for the first four decades of my life, but I'd miss a lot of 'stuff' that interests me.

On the other hand, I haven't had a TV for 20 years. Don't miss that in the least.

D

Deleted member 1258

:smile:

standard rule. women don't usually look anything like their FB pics in real life.

Remember the old phrase "the camera never lies"?

Wonder why you never hear it much anymore?

The camera never lies, its the camera person getting creative with photoshop that often does.

On the other hand, I haven't had a TV for 20 years. Don't miss that in the least.
You should give TV a go, it's got stuff like:
marriages, births, deaths, serious illness, recovery from serious illness, divorces/break-ups

...and probably a lot more

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
You should give TV a go, it's got stuff like:

...and probably a lot more
Except they are fictional, on the whole. The stuff on Facebook is my friends.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
How would you know...you haven't watched for 20 years. FB didn't exist then, so could TV (which did exist 20 years ago) have moved on without you knowing?
From my FB feed, I gather that the airtime is filled with programmes called Strictly British Factor Abbey Bake Celebrities, or variations of the same. Oh, and David Attenborough, but he'll live forever on DVD, should I feel the need.

I do also go to the cinema regularly.

Every fifteen years.

From my FB feed, I gather that the airtime is filled with programmes called Strictly British Factor Abbey Bake Celebrities, or variations of the same. Oh, and David Attenborough, but he'll live forever on DVD, should I feel the need.

I do also go to the cinema regularly.

Every fifteen years.
Aye, fair point, it's still shite...

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Aye, fair point, it's still shite...
And I'd be sat there watching another cookery show about food I'd never cook, rather than having a conversation with a friend of a friend about the two meanings of 'pernicious' (life-threatening, and nimble) and the fact that the one word has come from two different Latin roots (pernecare = to kill outright, and pernix = nimble). See, even David Attenborough doesn't do that.

And I'd be sat there watching another cookery show about food I'd never cook, rather than having a conversation with a friend of a friend about the two meanings of 'pernicious' (life-threatening, and nimble) and the fact that the one word has come from two different Latin roots (pernecare = to kill outright, and pernix = nimble). See, even David Attenborough doesn't do that.
Where's the TV Times?
;)

Top Bottom