Facebook. Others have done it. My turn now. Dumped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That is why facebook have the "block" facility, it is very easy to go to the facebook preferences page and block a person or group.
You can block anyone from your own Facebook page, but in this case the account was set up by other persons and nothing to do with her - apart from it's purpose being to intimidate her. I think her parents got it pulled in the end, but it wasn't a quick process and FB were less than helpful.

Don't need Facebook or even the internet to be a bully. Was happening long before FB, and will still be happening long after it has gone.

I imagine it has increased though Drago.

It opens a much wider avenue than conventional bullying, though. I feel a bit sorry for the younger mob, people of my age can live perfectly happily without it but school age teenagers in particular are under enormous pressure to be on it just to fit in and school is probably the worst place in the world for bullying behaviour. The daughter of a friend fell out with the in crowd at her school and they set up a "We hate XXXX" Facebook group which tormented her constantly and made her life hell. As with many things internet it snowballed and even people who never knew her were joining in the fun.

Case in point.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are privacy concerns surrounding Whatsapp..
~beware~
Unless it's software which has been checked independently and uses a network of servers run by competing independent operators, don't type anything into it that you wouldn't put on a sign outside your house - definitely not anything you want to keep secret. General rule of internet privacy, that.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As per my original post. I did not succumb to reigniting my FB account. Mrs Pete also deleted her FB last month.
It does have its uses, but I have quite easily lived without it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 4494830, member: 76"]I have to discuss Social Media at work frequently. You would be amazed how slack some people can be. One of our staff wrote on FB that the managers of her place of work couldn't organise a shag in a brothel, were fat useless middle aged bitches, her colleagues were dried up hags and that she meant most shifts looking for another job online. She was friends on FB with 75% of her colleagues :wacko:[/QUOTE]
I'm amazed by how few otherwise 'sensible' people don't set privacy settings properly/at all.

I have a few friends that I stay in touch with on a daily basis on Facebook, I very rarely post. But I use it as the rugby club posts training dates etc on there. I mainly use Facebook messenger to talk to just 3 people, in a group chat, who do not use WhatsApp.

mythste

Veteran
You know you can have it for when you need it and not interact with it when you don't, right?

I love technology, I love social media and have a healthy relationship with it. That means being able to turn my phone off when I don't want to be disturbed, and not logging into facebook if it's grating on me.

You are not obliged to view the thing 100 times a day if you sign up! In fact, as respectfully as I can, I might suggest that if you have an inability to stop interacting with social media if its available to you then you might have bigger issues than worrying about privacy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm amazed by how few otherwise 'sensible' people don't set privacy settings properly/at all.
Facebook has completely redesigned its privacy settings several times, usually defaulting to "public" - some people still haven't noticed the last time it happened and some people seem to have basically given up trying to keep their privacy settings set.

You are not obliged to view the thing 100 times a day if you sign up! In fact, as respectfully as I can, I might suggest that if you have an inability to stop interacting with social media if its available to you then you might have bigger issues than worrying about privacy.
It's designed and continually redesigned to try to hook you in and keep you going back again and again and again, you know?

PK99

Legendary Member
It looks to me like the biggest problem is that people seem to have very boring or annoying or pointless Facebook 'friends'. Perhaps thinking about who you think of as a friend and why would be more useful than complaining about how you communicate with those friends. I fell into the trap of just adding people a few years back, but then I went through my 'friends' and decided who it was who I actually wanted to hear from and really liked or valued, and got rid of all the rest. I now have a steady 200 or so* FB friends, a mix of local connections, a few family, and old friends from around the world, and I'm quite happy with that (*coincidentally or not, this is not far off Dunbar's numbers, which should please @GaryA...).

Twitter is a whole different story. I basically use Twitter for interesting notifications in my field of work. It means journalists and other academics get in touch with me and vice-versa and it's very useful.

I don't use professional networks like LinkedIn, which IMHO are the worst and most pointless of all social networks. But then I'm not looking for a job...

Ditto

Deleted some, unfollowed a bunch of others who I might like to contact at some time but don't want to follow their daily lives.

I've recently joined a FB memory group from the village I grew up in and have bumped into people I have not seen for 40 years but still of whom I have good childhood memories. None of them live there anymore.

I posted on FB (as I did here) about my daughter moving to Vancouver. Some very good advice and contacts with friends of friends for her in Vancouver were generated (as they were here).

FB is a tool, as with any tool there are good and bad ways to use it.

For family and personal stuff I use a series of WhatsApp

AndyRM

XOXO
Ditto

Deleted some, unfollowed a bunch of others who I might like to contact at some time but don't want to follow their daily lives.

I've recently joined a FB memory group from the village I grew up in and have bumped into people I have not seen for 40 years but still of whom I have good childhood memories. None of them live there anymore.

I posted on FB (as I did here) about my daughter moving to Vancouver. Some very good advice and contacts with friends of friends for her in Vancouver were generated (as they were here).

FB is a tool, as with any tool there are good and bad ways to use it.

For family and personal stuff I use a series of WhatsApp

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom