Failing to acknowledge other cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yeah I guess I was just too unsubtle.
It's because you're the OP: no way you would post this in earnest, far too many words for a start :laugh:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Man, about my age, overtook me on the bottom third of the climb up Bury Hill from Arundel y'day afternoon

"You make it hard on yourself fella, you wanna get some gears*" and "What is wrong with your handlebars**?"

to which my somewhat terse response was "Works for me." whilst thinking "Nobber".

"Going far?"
"A ton"
"100 kay? Good luck on that thing" and he speeds off
"Nobber" thinks I. Again. By this stage I'd already just about bagged 100km for the day.

I grovelled my way to halfway, and then realised I was catching him. A plan formed in my mind. On the top third when I caught and passed him I refrained from making any comment whatsoever about my perception of the inadequacy of his 20-speed carbon framed stead. And legs. Instead I just looked over my left shoulder playing Armstrong to his Ullrich and said...

"Not kay. 100 Miles."

And stifling his futile lowest-possible-gear counter-attack by the simple expedient of standing up on the pedals and giving it some beans, I dropped him like a stone. And then bagged his mate.

Am I no longer in the friendly cyclists club?

*singlespeed
**on-one midge

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I was out on the MTB fat tyres baggy shorts no helmet, grey hair blowing in the wind, a young couple passed both on Pinnarellos helmets sunglasses (it wasn't sunny) smart racing kit, they never said a word they were going at a decent pace so I sat at the back of them for about 2 mile, we came to a short but steepish hill the female decided she would pass the male who had been leading, I got on her tail and as she got to near the top of the hill I passed her, not a word was said by eiher of us but I did feel smug.

Last edited:
You're all doing it wrong, it's simple, if the cyclist's ahead, simply catch up slowly, ride alongside for a few hundred yards in complete silence then turn to them and bellow "ALLEZ!!" and ride off as hard as you like.

You're welcome.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It does - you just run past along the carriage.

NOTE: If it's the quiet coach, it's polite to hold up a sign saying "ALLEZ" instead. Or just talk at the top of your voice, like every bloody one else.
That's where you are going wrong.

In the quiet coach you have to call them on their mobile and then shout "I'm on a train. ALLEZ! No. ALLEZ! Oh for God's sake. A train. NOT ALLEY. ALLEZ! It's French. Wait a sec. Dammit." Pause. Take phone from your ear, look at it in the manner of one finding an alien turd in the palm of their hand, then place is by your ear before bellowing:

"ALLEZ!"

before hanging up and tossing it contemptuous onto the table in front of you where, five seconds later it will start ringing with the Crazy Frog ring tone and then saying "What? WHAT?" to everyone who makes eye contact with you.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's where you are going wrong.

In the quiet coach you have to call them on their mobile and then shout "I'm on a train. ALLEZ! No. ALLEZ! Oh for God's sake. A train. NOT ALLEY. ALLEZ! It's French. Wait a sec. Dammit." Pause. Take phone from your ear, look at it in the manner of one finding an alien turd in the palm of their hand, then place is by your ear before bellowing:

"ALLEZ!"

before hanging up and tossing it contemptuous onto the table in front of you where, five seconds later it will start ringing with the Crazy Frog ring tone and then saying "What? WHAT?" to everyone who makes eye contact with you.
If this were real life I'd put that post down to cocaine.

Top Bottom