Fairytales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably not then. Sounds interesting though, will look her up.

Definitely not [suitable for a three year old]. 'The Bloody Chamber' is generally referred to as being 'adult versions of fairy tales', or some paraphrase of that, though Carter herself didn't see it that way. 'Inspired by...' might be a better term.. It's a brilliant collection which I'm just re-reading since, coincidentally, it was dramatised on Radio 4 about three weeks ago (more precisely, five of the tales in the book were); rather well.

tyred

Legendary Member
Inspired by Jack and the beanstock, I planted a handful of magic Heinz beans in the front garden when I was about four. I'm still waiting for my beanstock to grow. I conclude that these stories aren't true.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Inspired by Jack and the beanstock, I planted a handful of magic Heinz beans in the front garden when I was about four. I'm still waiting for my beanstock to grow. I conclude that these stories aren't true.

You'd be done for fly tipping now

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You have to listen really hard to hear the beans talk..... They may be true, you know.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Back to the OP, I think they quite likely do influence behaviour in later life by enforcing gender stereotypes. It's been highlighted recently by reports of Keira Knightley not letting her children watch certain Disney cartoons. I agree with her reasoning, although I haven't done any banning. I enjoyed reading to my children and enjoy reading to my grandchildren, I also enjoy sitting down with my grandchildren to watch a film. My grandson currently wants to watch Snow White when he's over, anybody that hasn't seen it in the last 30/40 years or so should make an effort to see just how cringeworthy it is now.
Snow White, helpless without a man ("Someday my prince will come") or dwarf for that matter (worth keeping in mind she was 14), falls in love with and is ultimately literally carried off by a man she had basically met once before and sung a song with, immediately takes charge of cooking and cleaning, abandons, with nary a backwards glance, the people that took her in and sheltered her and fed her in favour of looks and money. I'm also not keen on the dwarfs living in a shack in the woods, working hard down a mine all day digging up bucket loads of precious jewels while the prince spends his days living in a big castle or riding his horse around looking for girls to snog.
It's very easy to sneer at the PCness of it all and suggest that more is being read into things than are there, but it doesn't take any effort to watch them with a slightly different perspective and boil the stories down to their absolute basics, which is that a woman/girl is helpless without a man and her only hope is to find someone rich.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Fairy tales are boring, so I liven them up for mini D.

My favourite was Arnold Schwarzenegger and the three little pigs. When he gets to the brick house he says "..and I'll huff, and I'll puff, and I'll straff you with a Dillon Aero M-134." And he did, and the little pigs were all killed. This prompted a surprisingly matter of fact discussion about where bacon comes from.

Rapunzel and Prince Schwarzenegger was a good one, as was Stallone and the Beanstalk. They're all unbelievable tosh, so they may as well be fun unbelievable tosh.

Top Bottom