Fairytales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 5416614, member: 9609"]i think that could be religion ?[/QUOTE]
Same thing, ain't it? :secret:

Lullabelle

Banana
They are just fairy stories, they don't reflect the real world! If parents aren't happy fine don't read them or let them watch the film, while your at it, ban all fairytale and princess stuff that is in the shops, raise your daughters to be man hating ball breakers.

Failing that, be a responsible parent and teach your children the difference between a story of fiction and reality.

D

Deleted member 1258

Utter filth from my kindergarten days. Pass the mind bleach.

I remember the Janet and John books from my days in primary school, they were of their time.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member
They are just fairy stories, they don't reflect the real world! If parents aren't happy fine don't read them or let them watch the film, while your at it, ban all fairytale and princess stuff that is in the shops, raise your daughters to be man hating ball breakers.

Failing that, be a responsible parent and teach your children the difference between a story of fiction and reality.

Funny you should say that, I had just noticed this headline when I clicked over here.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2018/10/woman-avoids-jail-after-grabbing-mans-genitals/

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

I don't see a disconnect between being a responsible parent and asking how these stories work today, rather the opposite in fact. It's also something which is being recognised by the mighty Disney of course, Tangled, Frozen and Moana all taking rather a different direction to the Cinderella's and Snow Whites. The new Wreck It Ralph film has a scene which features the Disney princesses past and present making reference to their apparent utter reliance on men.

tyred

Legendary Member
Literature reflects society when it was written. For a poor woman in the era when Snow White was written, probably the only way of getting away from a life of poverty was to marry a wealthy Prince.

A few hundred years from now, people will probably read the books being written today and cringe at them.

Mr Celine

Discordian
It would be difficult to totally exclude such cultural references so I tended to try to explain them in a more up to date context, though this did not include the use of modern weaponry as per @Drago.
For example I remember one New Year's day, after the tooth fairy had failed to appear, having to explain to a disappointed Celinette the concept of public holidays and why it was important that the tooth fairy had them.

irw

Quadricyclist
It would be difficult to totally exclude such cultural references so I tended to try to explain them in a more up to date context, though this did not include the use of modern weaponry as per @Drago.
For example I remember one New Year's day, after the tooth fairy had failed to appear, having to explain to a disappointed Celinette the concept of public holidays and why it was important that the tooth fairy had them.

Nothing to do, of course, with the fact that the preceding night had been New Year's Eve and Mr Celine had probably been partying hard enough to forget to 'employ' the tooth fairy....Good cover up though ;)

Mr Celine

Discordian
Nothing to do, of course, with the fact that the preceding night had been New Year's Eve and Mr Celine had probably been partying hard enough to forget to 'employ' the tooth fairy....Good cover up though ;)

I thought I'd got away with it.
But next time she lost a tooth she didn't tell anyone for three days and the tooth fairy didn't visit. The night after she told us, the tooth fairy finally made an appearance. She was taught a valuable lesson, ie parents tell lies when it suits them.

Top Bottom