Fake bikes thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
My bikes aren’t fake, not sure about the rider though.

I think that's the imposter syndrome talking.

Alex321

Veteran
I can understand people buying fakes in fashion items (and I include watches in that), where underlying quality isn't necessarily that important, and they want to be seen to be apparently able to afford it. I wouldn't do it myself, but I've never been interested in fashion.

But in anything where failure can have serious, even life-threatening consequences, such as a bike, why would you risk it?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I can understand people buying fakes in fashion items (and I include watches in that), where underlying quality isn't necessarily that important, and they want to be seen to be apparently able to afford it. I wouldn't do it myself, but I've never been interested in fashion.

But in anything where failure can have serious, even life-threatening consequences, such as a bike, why would you risk it?
This is what I said at first. Non fakes have had catastrophic failures though. Wasn’t there a Cannondale CAAD 12 fatality because the forks snapped, there was a big re-call & I remember waiting for one from the LBS they had the frame & old forks but wouldn’t sell me it until replacement was fitted. Then Covid hit so I bought something else. They are still probably waiting for them now.

D

Deleted member 26715

But are the genuine ones any better, they often come off the same production line, not been in the industry for a log while but at one point there was only ever 2 TFT manufacturers in the world, every screen in the world came out of those 2 factories, yet A manufacturer would claim their TFT was better the B manufacturer who again theirs were better then C manufacturer.

I've just agreed to buy some Solar panels, same think applies apparently manufacturers claiming theirs are better than others, yet there are only 3 manufacturer in total.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But are the genuine ones any better, they often come off the same production line, not been in the industry for a log while but at one point there was only ever 2 TFT manufacturers in the world, every screen in the world came out of those 2 factories, yet A manufacturer would claim their TFT was better the B manufacturer who again theirs were better then C manufacturer.

I've just agreed to buy some Solar panels, same think applies apparently manufacturers claiming theirs are better than others, yet there are only 3 manufacturer in total.
Yeahbut with reputable manufacturers you should get a warranty of some sort.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yeahbut with reputable manufacturers you should get a warranty of some sort.

Surely warranty isn't the issue in this discussion. Major cycle brands will have systems in place to ensure compliance with set standards, H&S, factory conditions, quality control, regular inspections etc. To some degree this is what the customer pays for.

With fake goods one cannot be sure if such requirements are adhered to.

Clearly warranty is expected and important but it doesn't come in to a discussion on the safety or otherwise of fake goods.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
This is what I said at first. Non fakes have had catastrophic failures though. Wasn’t there a Cannondale CAAD 12 fatality because the forks snapped, there was a big re-call & I remember waiting for one from the LBS they had the frame & old forks but wouldn’t sell me it until replacement was fitted. Then Covid hit so I bought something else. They are still probably waiting for them now.

While genuine ones may fail, it is likely to be very much less common, as they will require more stringent quality control, and also if it does happen, you should be covered by warranty from any decent manufacturer.

Wooger

Mine cost less than twenty pounds, it says Rolex on it but its obviously a fake, but as I have stated above the auto mechanical movement is still keeping good time 20+ years later.
Erm, I wouldn't say that any mechanical keeps good time
There are a lot more than that.

Unless you mean UK manufacturers?

Lol if you think anyone in the UK is making solar panels. Re-branding sure.

Wooger

I'd rather pay a bit more to a retailer in this country.
If your Chinese frame breaks - it's just going to be trickier to sort out. Each to their own though.
It's not 'a bit more' though is it? It's like 3-4x the cost for similar quality for a frameset like e .g. the Winspace ones.

It is ridiculous that noone is importing these and selling as-is for a reasonable markup in fact.

Other than shipping costs I'm not sure how 'sorting out a frame' is any easier for bikes purchased in the UK - in most cases you're dealing with a foreign manufacturer that is suffering supply shortages and will try to get out of replacing things.

I've hardly seen a bike shop that I'd consider to have service decent enough to be worth favouring, and there are certainly none near me in Birmingham. Plenty of decent servicing options, but bike shops..?

Alex321

Veteran
Erm, I wouldn't say that any mechanical keeps good time

Lol if you think anyone in the UK is making solar panels. Re-branding sure.

https://www.gb-sol.co.uk/products/britishmadesolarpanels/default.htm

https://www.viridiansolar.co.uk/

https://www.dellner-romag.co.uk/projects/park-dale-airedale-castleford/

https://polysolar.com/

https://bipvco.com/about/

All of these have manufactured solar panels in the UK. I'm not sure Romag still do, but that still leaves four.

Top Bottom