Fake bikes thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Fake goods are often linked to criminality besides being unsafe and prone to failure.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I had a fake steel Colnago a few years ago. I didn't realise it was fake until I'd had it for a while. It worked flawlessly right up to the point it developed a crack down the back of the seat tube.

Unlucky but it could happen to a genuine one. I know around 5 people with China-rellos now and they are flying on them. £600 including post stem & bars. It’s crazy.
Personally I went for a carbon Dolan which at least has some kind of warranty. It was still made in the Far East, not as if Terry personally built it in his work shop. Faults can happen with any bike. They just price gouge.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've ways wanted a fake Rolex. Not a real one. A fake Rolex is a cultural icon in its own right.

The problem with fake bikes is that they MAY be made in the same factory as the real thing, but you don't know. In most cases, they won't be.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have been looking at one of these for a winter bike build http://www.velobuildmall.com/produc...ike-frame-new-version-12x100-fork-available-1
It does not claim to be a named brand, so is not fake, however, it happens to be the same frame stocked by two well known UK companies who buy in bulk with their logo added at double the price. I don't have an issue with that, they need to sort out warranty issues, pay further tax and still make a profit.

si_c

Guru
Generally I wouldn't buy something like a Pinarello or Colnago or the like anyway as I prefer to have something a little less commonplace, so I wouldn't buy a faked frameset anyway. I'd have no problem purchasing a chinese brand carbon frame provided they put their own name on it and stand by it, for example Winspace, however when I did look at them they all seemed to max out with a 58cm frame which is a bit small.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unlucky but it could happen to a genuine one. I know around 5 people with China-rellos now and they are flying on them. £600 including post stem & bars. It’s crazy.
Personally I went for a carbon Dolan which at least has some kind of warranty. It was still made in the Far East, not as if Terry personally built it in his work shop. Faults can happen with any bike. They just price gouge.

I've a real Terry Dolan built Ribble 653, so nah nah...

Mate had a chinarello Dogma, only difference was the logo's positioning - Mk1 Dogma which had Pinarello on the down tube, and Dogma on the seat tube. The original had the logos like that, but reversed on the other side - Dogma on downtube etc. The copy didn't.

Wouldn't mind a dengfu gravel bike frame, but then again, you can get a Planet X china frame for not much more. ^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

Once knew a guy who bought a Giorgio Armani suit paid a fortune for it, but it was till an off the peg suit at the end of the day & any C&A suit would have covered up his wobbly bits just the same.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Once knew a guy who bought a Giorgio Armani suit paid a fortune for it, but it was till an off the peg suit at the end of the day & any C&A suit would have covered up his wobbly bits just the same.

There's a lot of Armani suits and stuff down here. The way to spot genuine gear is they have Giorgio Armani in large letters across them.

Venod

Eh up
I've ways wanted a fake Rolex.

I have one, I can't remember which country I bought it in, Greece, mainland Spain or the Canaries, it has a auto mechanical movement, the casing was a bit rubbish, I have just put the movement in a shiny new case from China, it says Rolex on the dial but it doesn't look like a Rolex you will ever see, its well over 20 years old now and still keeping good time, no idea where the movement was made, there is no markings on it.

Top Bottom