Falling apart?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Having had a healthy spring and summer cycling lots - 50-70 miles a week (across 5-7 days), so not much for many on here but was a big step up for me (having had knee issues since Sept 2009 which I have managed to minimise), I have basically been ailing for the last month or so - a heavy head cold, followed by a nice campylobacter gut infection last week (taking anti-b's) and now a nasty case of laryngitis (croak) which has led to me having to postpone my holiday to Florida by 4 days :angry: I also have tennis elbow which doesn't seem to be getting any better despite physio (overuse from cycling most likely :whistle: )

Now, am I just getting old (big four-o next year :ohmy: ) , is it just winter with the predominance of bugs (I didn't have one cold last winter) or a mixture of stress (busy job, can be long hours, stressful especially at this time of year, some overseas travel with early starts and long days) and lack of sleep? Due to work , I have not actually taken any proper time off , a few half days working from home (other than yesterday and today as I am on holiday :wacko: )

I eat ok, lots of fruit and veg, probably more sweets, processed food and carbs than I should but long hours do that. I have always struggled with weight, lost a lot 2009/2010, have kept it all off this year, probably lost a couple of pounds, another stone would be good. I was planning on carrying on cycling as long as possible, but my TE and health have put paid to that for a while.

Anyone else going through this?

Bah, miserable, Ribbit Ribbit :sad:

Having had a healthy spring and summer cycling lots - 50-70 miles a week (across 5-7 days), so not much for many on here but was a big step up for me (having had knee issues since Sept 2009 which I have managed to minimise), I have basically been ailing for the last month or so - a heavy head cold, followed by a nice campylobacter gut infection last week (taking anti-b's) and now a nasty case of laryngitis (croak) which has led to me having to postpone my holiday to Florida by 4 days :angry: I also have tennis elbow which doesn't seem to be getting any better despite physio (overuse from cycling most likely :whistle: )

Now, am I just getting old (big four-o next year :ohmy: ) , is it just winter with the predominance of bugs (I didn't have one cold last winter) or a mixture of stress (busy job, can be long hours, stressful especially at this time of year, some overseas travel with early starts and long days) and lack of sleep?

I eat ok, lots of fruit and veg, probably more sweets, processed food and carbs than I should but long hours do that. I have always struggled with weight, lost a lot 2009/2010, have kept it all off this year, probably lost a couple of pounds, another stone would be good. I was planning on carrying on cycling as long as possible, but my TE and health have put paid to that for a while.

Bah, miserable, Ribbit Ribbit :sad:
I'm sorry to say I think it's an age thing! I'm 44 and have aches and pains in places I didn't know existed 10 years ago!!!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

No. Actually more accurately not just yet, I'm self employed and have the two weeks over Christmas/New Year off, it my only break of the year and I will be ill, I always am, it's from letting my defences down I think.
I'm a little older than you, 42, and am finding than I seem to creak a little more, and despite make a resonable and possibly ever more desperate effort for the past couple of years to get fit seem to be puffing and panting just as much as I always have been. It makes me mad :angry:
As for tennis elbow, oh my that hurts, I've had it a couple of times over the last few years and it's just crippling how painful and debilitating it can be, you have my sympathy!
Florida eh? Which bit?
Does that answer your question, not sure how much of a question there was, more of a conversation starter perhaps :unsure:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
So it sounds like I am indeed getting old!

Fort Myers

Tennis elbow, yes is ouchy, especially gripping and pulling!

My voice sounds bizarre!

Health wise, no chronic illnesses, my blood pressure is low (which causes its own issues and I had blood tests earlier in the year, all normal), don't smoke, drink very little alcohol

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
:smile:
Sometimes a load of ailments and illnesses come home to roost in one go and make you wonder if you'll ever feel normal again!

Over the last 6 weeks I've felt really run down and tired, caught a mean head cold and as it's a busy time at work have been working late, then staying up late as I didn't feel like I'd had much of an evening otherwise, so have been feeling progressively more and more tired. Always feels as if I'm fighting the urge to hibernate at this time of year, too.

My dodgy knee has been feeling much better recently, right up until the point where I bent over to pick up my water bottle and felt an odd sensation in my hamstrings, now my knee feels odd again as well as my hamstring! :angry:

Unfortunately some of it has to be age-related. A colleague and I went to a work friend's 40th birthday party last weekend (she's a tad younger than me) and spent a couple of hours recreating dance floor moves of our youth along to 80's tunes. Our office was like a GP's waiting room on the Monday morning! We counted a pulled calf muscle (Bad Manners - Special Brew), strained knees and quads (Hey Mickey - Toni Basil) and a rolled rib (Prince Charming - Adam Ant) between us :wacko:

Enjoy your holiday when you get there and hopefully you'll come back feeling a lot fitter!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So it sounds like I am indeed getting old!

Fort Myers

Tennis elbow, yes is ouchy, especially gripping and pulling!

My voice sounds bizarre!

Health wise, no chronic illnesses, my blood pressure is low (which causes its own issues and I had blood tests earlier in the year, all normal), don't smoke, drink very little alcohol

We went to Disney last year, never been to America before and I loved every minute of it, I hate being cold and whilst I was there, I wasn't!
Health wise, pretty good myself, nothing that I'm aware of anyway and happy to keep it that way. It's just that tired feeling sometimes, when you know you're not actually tired it's just you're not 20 something anymore :cry:
Still, I guess the upside is I couldn't afford to go to Disneyworld in my 20's, well if I'm honest I couldn't in my 40's either but I don't care now :smile:

Willo

It often all seems to come at once. Sometimes you just need to have a little rest (easier said than done). I've had the same recently, been running faster / cycling further this summer and then the last couple of weeks, first a cough/cold, then do my calf running.

Most of the time, exercise seems to help with the stress and fighting off the colds etc. but if work is extra busy / stressful, sometimes you just need a rest.

As for getting older, I'm 42 and the irony is that when I had the legs for it, I abused my body and didn't have the puff. Now I have the puff, but the legs are aching!

Doseone

Guru
Campylobacter is awful, can really knock you for six. Hope you're ok.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
spent a couple of hours recreating dance floor moves of our youth along to 80's tunes. Our office was like a GP's waiting room on the Monday morning! We counted a pulled calf muscle (Bad Manners - Special Brew), strained knees and quads (Hey Mickey - Toni Basil) and a rolled rib (Prince Charming - Adam Ant) between us :wacko:

Did some serious dad dancing on a golf weekend earlier in the year, a couple of us did some serious damage to the dance floor the one night, had the running man going on, bit of MC Hammer etc the poor kids there didn't know what the hell to make of it, next day we could barely walk and as for swinging a club!

Looking like this only fatter
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0bHeiRNg[/media]

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all

I guess the one good thing is that I already have the antibiotics for the gut (yes, campylobacter is not pleasant) so didn't need any for the laryngitis (although they are upsetting my gut :whistle: )

I did no exercise during my 20s and early 30s and I am sure I was healthier (the knee injury resulted from a fall from the bike :rolleyes: )

I am hoping the holiday with warmth and sunshine will sort me out, and I am also going to try to have a decent break over Christmas

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Phil, very kind of you :thumbsup: But it has cost me enough already switching the date, switching the name on the ticket would bankrupt me...and the friends I am staying with may call the cops on you when you turn up :tongue:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
You and I look a little different...and I have just checked your age on your profile...there is no way you should be taking that risk!! :ohmy:

Top Bottom