Falling apart?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
8 years ;)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I shall to bed soon too and hope I wake up sounding less like an extra from the frog chorus! Croak

Sometimes you get things all at once and whilst four oh isn't old, it's reaching the point when you have to be pro-active in terms of getting rid of injuries, they don't just go anymore. Currently I've got tennis elbow in both elbows, how or why I don't know but just toughing it out has not worked for the last 6 months and I'll probably have to give up and get a cortisone injection.

I'm reminded that I'm not as young, everytime I do sports with the kids. I can happily be in my 'I'm quite fit and active' bubble up until they outskill me on the mtn bike, outski me, hold a non breathless conversation whilst out running and then outsprint me at the end and dribble past me playing football (not all at once I may add). It's an arse, I can tell you.

Mentally you have to make a small adjustment each decade past 30 I reckon. You can still do the same things, you just have to realize there might be a few more limitations.

Look after yourself and plan a proper recovery, no toughing it out. :whistle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks Crackle

My recovery plan is to fly to Florida tomorrow and spend 10 days in the sun doing as little as I possibly can! :thumbsup:

My voice seems better this morning (not that I have spoken to anyone other than the cat), woke up way earlier than planned as ever, have a tickly throat as I seem to have developed some thick mucus

I shall continue with the physio and using the elbow support, want to avoid the cortisone at all costs, as the GP thought the pain is too diffuse for it to be helpful and she said the jabs hurt like h**l :wacko:

I am far more active, fitter and slimmer than I ever was in my 20s and early-mid 30s, but we do heal less quickly as we get older (another GP kindly told me that when I broke my big toe a few years ago, bless her)!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Just to resurrect - after 6 sessions of physio - acupuncture, ultrasound, taping, deep tissue massage and minimal improvement in the elbow. Referred by physio to an orthopaedic surgeon whom I saw this afternoon. Had a steroid injection and holy cow, now my arm hurts, burns and aches, just as the consultant said it would. The actual injection was ok, doc seemed disappointed I didn't yelp more lol. This will either work or it won't, next stop is plasma injections at £700 a go (and no BUPA or NHS coverage :ohmy: ) or surgery...

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
So did you enjoy your holiday in Florida

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I did thanks, seems a very very long time ago now of course. Insurance coughed up for the extra flight fees too (less the excess and GP fee for completing form) which was good and the monies have been put aside towards this year's trip!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Steriod injections help for a short while, oh and you can't have many as it thins the skin in the injection area. Injections didn't work for my shoulder, so ended up with surgery.

Make sure you stick to any exercises the physio has given you.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
There is a Chriopractor that has clinic in Purley & Richmond they sorted out an ongoing neck problem I had, they list Tennis Elbow on their website not sure if you have tried that route. Wolfe Clinic is the name to google.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
I have to make sure I do a lot of stretching as I find my hip joints in particular start to ache. I turn 50 in May so its not going to get any easier. I felt worse over Christmas when I wasn't cycling and had to get on the bike in order to loosen off.
Enloy your well earned holiday:thumbsup:

Top Bottom