Falling asleep on the train ( it’s that time of year )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
Went out for a few beers last Friday with a work colleague , we went to watch Brentford v Watford and he fell asleep on the train ! £50 Uber back home ! Just spoke to my nephew and he told me he fell asleep and saw farms and stone cottages out the train window ! Ended up In the cotswolds ( lives near reading ) no trains back until 10am next day !! Your amusing stories please

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Not mine. I'd be too worried about missing my stop, but a friend of mine regularly used to fall asleep on trains.

One time he slept through the train terminating at Newcastle. Somehow the staff didn't see him on board and took the train to the depot at Darlington. When he woke up he had to climb a wall to get out of the depot.

Same chap travelled abroad to watch England play an international match. Fell asleep in his hotel room and woke up well into the second half. A bit of a wasted journey :biggrin:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Mate of mine due to be having dinner at his brothers after work, hopped onto a waiting intercity at KingsX as back in the day (early 90's) his local commuter train to Welwyn didn't have a loo. It set off whilst he was peeing ....first stop Peterborough. he had to borrow someones mobile in first class (I said it was back in the day) to ring his brother to ask him to pick him up. He offered the chap £1 for the call cost, it was refused and they had a whip round for brothers petrol money as over hearing him recount his tale of woe had them all in stitches.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Coming out of London I've woken up twice in Cambridge which is about double the distance I intended, thankfully trains were still running back the other way on both occasions so I got home fine. Just later than planned.

On another occasion I was less lucky, I woke up somewhere called Shepreth which is only 18 miles past home, but at that time of night may as well have been the middle of nowhere. Well, it pretty much is. I jumped off the train in a panic, then found that was the last one through there until morning.
A taxi company were prepared to come out but wanted £50 up front, so we had to go via a cash point. An expensive snooze.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Many years ago I had a boss who after his usual four pints at lunch time and a few more after work would often fall asleep on the train home, which was the Edinburgh-Glasgow shuttle.

He said his record was getting on at Waverley, he fell asleep and woke up at Queen Street, fell asleep again and woke up back at Waverley, fell asleep again woke up at Queen Street, then finally managed to get off at Linlithgow.:laugh:

Sharky

Guru
An old work collegue had recently had a holiday in Taiwan, where he bought a "genuine" Rolex watch for about 10$. He was very pleased with it. Any way, sometime later he went out drinking with mates after work in London. He caught the train back ok, intended to get off around Croydon where he lived. But as the theme of this thread, he fell asleep and didn't wake up until he got to Brighton.

He decided to rest on a park bench until the first train back arrived. Alas he fell asleep again on the bench. When he eventually woke, he discovered that somebody had nicked his expensive Rolex watch!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’ve missed my stop too many times. Luckily it’s only a £20 cab back.

I now stand up all the way if I know I’m worse for wear. That way I won’t fall asleep.

Closing your eyes for a few minutes never ends well.

presta

Guru
I've never fallen asleep, but I used to use a train that split into two further up the line, and went in two different directions. I realised I was on the wrong half the instant it rolled over the points, but I made the mistake of jumping off at the first stop, which was a small village. If I'd carried on until a main station I could have quickly got a train back again instead of getting a taxi.

The first taxi to arrive at the rank was a Lada driven by a little old biddy about 90, so I jumped in and said "Braintree please" (about 7 miles away), and she said "ooh no, I don't go that far after dark young man", so I had to get out again. :laugh:

Top Bottom