Falling out of love with a groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Would i be mad to strip and sell the bike to fund a replacement set or just MTFU ?
i wont get into which is better argument as i know its all subjective but i now find sram a bit hit and miss with the double click compare to the simpler shimano set up , bear in mind i have reynauds and if im suffering i find i am struggling to shift whereas shimano feels easier to do

Drago

Legendary Member
If you simply don't dig it then you probably never will. Sell up and move on if it doesn't gel for you.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
You need to simplify...

5F3C1AA4-CB3F-4806-B387-8A2286CF37ED.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Which SRAM? 10 speed Rival better than Apex, 11 speed Rival a bit better than 10.
I much prefer SRAM as the brake lever does not move unlike Shimano which is just annoying! and the hoods are far more comfortable. Are you sure there's not a fault with the shifter/set up?

That said, if you have the funds and think it'll be better, change. Some of the lower Shimano sets can be clunky if not set up perfectly

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I never like the SRAM shifting and dont like Campag much either. Shimano has the same direct feel that I've grown up with.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
Struggling to shift isn’t going to enhance your enjoyment while out on the bike. So if you feel the benefits would worthy of the cost then, as long as funds allow, I’d do it. If you like the rest of the bike could you maybe not just change the group set?

If you are struggling to shift to a degree whereby there’s a chance you might fall or be less safe at any point - eg: junctions, hills, traffic - I would certainly do something.

Justin

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Its personal choice.

Im Shimano road but have both SRAM and shimano on my MTBs. The SRAM shift is very good with an audible click but I am not over keen where the down shift lever is. Up shift great, but down, even though you can reach it with your thumb or index finger from the front of the bar, its just a little tricky. I still like it though.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If you simply don't dig it then you probably never will. Sell up and move on if it doesn't gel for you.

N+1, you know you want to.
Selling the bike sint an option im afraid , shifting apart it was my 1st nice bike and i am still attached to it , its just the shifting i struggle with at time s

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Struggling to shift isn’t going to enhance your enjoyment while out on the bike. So if you feel the benefits would worthy of the cost then, as long as funds allow, I’d do it. If you like the rest of the bike could you maybe not just change the group set?

If you are struggling to shift to a degree whereby there’s a chance you might fall or be less safe at any point - eg: junctions, hills, traffic - I would certainly do something.

Justin
i find when my hand is playing up i try to brake and change gear at the same time

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Which SRAM? 10 speed Rival better than Apex, 11 speed Rival a bit better than 10.
I much prefer SRAM as the brake lever does not move unlike Shimano which is just annoying! and the hoods are far more comfortable. Are you sure there's not a fault with the shifter/set up?

That said, if you have the funds and think it'll be better, change. Some of the lower Shimano sets can be clunky if not set up perfectly
its 10 speed rival , maybe its because the lever is smaller i struggle whereas on shimano the lever are relatively bigger and separate. I do have 2300 on my rat bike that works perfectly and my best bike only has 4700 tiagra and both work smoothly .

vickster

Legendary Member
its 10 speed rival , maybe its because the lever is smaller i struggle whereas on shimano the lever are relatively bigger and separate. I do have 2300 on my rat bike that works perfectly and my best bike only has 4700 tiagra and both work smoothly .
A change to 10 speed 105 should be more straightforward, must be lots of second hand out there after 11 speed upgrades
Shifters, mechs, not sure on chainset compatibility. Chain and cassette should be ok assuming in good nick

If the Rival shifters are in good nick, first dibs if you decide to sell :smile:

tom73

Guru
If they don't do what you want and you just can't get on with them as it sound's like. Then change them for something else you are fine.
Sell the old group set it should help cover some of the cost if nothing else.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

A change to 10 speed 105 should be more straightforward, must be lots of second hand out there after 11 speed upgrades
Shifters, mechs, not sure on chainset compatibility. Chain and cassette should be ok assuming in good nick

If the Rival shifters are in good nick, first dibs if you decide to sell :smile:
I was thinking the same , the chain and cassette are new on it , done 70 miles :smile: , when i have the summer bike out permanent i will strip it i think .
The shifters are not original as it had apex but i got them off the boardmaniacs face book page at a good price when my apex shifter broke , functionally fine but usual scuffs from whoever had the bike upside down etc they were attached to.

Top Bottom