"False shifting" I'm stumped...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I think thats what it's called isn't it? the chain keeps half shifting to the next cog up and then back down again.

I thought it was a dodgy cassette, but I've just fitted the new one and it's no better.
The chain looks Ok, no obvious kinks and it's fairly new.

Only thing is the jockey wheels seem to have a fair bit of play in them, could it be that?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Indexing needs some attention is my guess.

I think it's unlikely to be jockey wheels. Unless they are the jobs with bearings in them there will be a bit of play.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Ok, thanks for that. I've just checked the Enduro actually (brand new derailleur) and that has some play too although not as much as this one.

I've followed this guide for indexing, as I always do, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Tollers said:
Derailleur alignment? Are both jockey wheel directly vertical beneath the cog?

They seem to be

accountantpete said:
Checked for play in the rear hub?

No, no play at all.

bad boy said:
dodgy Free hub causing the cassette to wobble

Doesn't seem to be any wobble in the cassette now.

psmiffy said:
Cables or Cable outers have had it

New cables unfortunately.

I think Palinurus had it actually, there's a problem with the shifter.
If I feed the cable into it, and hold it under tension, it shifts the cable in and out smoothly without fault.
As soon as I reassemble it all, it sort of half-jams and doesn't click smoothly up and down.
There is a very slight kink in the new cable where it goes over the nylon roller in the shifter, could this be the cause of the problem? it is a very slight kink.
Should I get another new cable or admit defeat and get it into the LBS?

Thanks again for the help ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
once you've exhausted what you can do with your own/borrowed knowledge and tools, the lbs is the best option, if you have a good one.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks for that, at least I've tried everything.

Well, nearly everything. I'll grab a new cable from Halfrauds on the way home from work just in case it is that.
I hate being beaten....;)

You deffo adjusted the cable tension because I've had that commonly and it was just cable tension adjustment that sorted it.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Crackle said:
You deffo adjusted the cable tension because I've had that commonly and it was just cable tension adjustment that sorted it.

I think thats all Ok.
As I say, I followed that youtube guide and I've never had any problems doing it that way before.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Panter said:
Thanks for that, at least I've tried everything.

Well, nearly everything. I'll grab a new cable from Halfrauds on the way home from work just in case it is that.
I hate being beaten....;)
Really? Some grown men pay for that sort of thing at the weekend... so I'm told. :smile:

Top Bottom