Family Think I Am Over Doing Exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wrong forum to ask on really.

It doesn't sound excessive in terms of health. Perhaps more of a problem dependent on circumstances is time away from your family. I sort of get round this by looking out for nice country pubs, places of interests restaurants, take the family somewhere I discovered on my bike.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What's peoples thoughts, should I cut back a little or carry on or stop all together

Everything you say points towards your current exercise levels being highly beneficial to your health - you've got hard facts on paper in the form of test results to prove it. And you're enjoying it too, which is even better. Why on earth would you stop?

The concern is perhaps understandable in light of the family medical history but it's misguided and ill-informed. Either ignore it or confront it with facts, but do not treat it as advice worth listening to.

Maenchi

StoneDog
Go for it while the years are on your side, I returned to cycling after a ten year break at 55 at first 6-10 miles was all I could manage~ 3years later i'm 58 and over the last year did 3000miles this year i'm on target for a few more......

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I try and have the odd rest days between exercise. I to get tired from exercise but I also feel refreshed after.

You're clearly not overdoing it if you recognise the importance of rest days. And of course you're tired after exercise, that's kind of the whole point of exercise - as long as you're not flogging yourself to exhaustion every time, it's doing you far more good than harm.

You mention your weight but not your height, which would put it into some kind of context. If you're barely 5ft tall then weighing nearly 17 stone would be cause for serious concern. If you're 6ft-plus, less so.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks for all the replies,

...........but I think they keep seeing all my Strava posts on FB about my workouts, rides, runs and swimming...........

Ahh! the dreaded FB.

I have had similar experience.

First of all, we (myself and Mrs BoldonLad) are a bit older that you (at 70), but, earlier this year, Mrs BoldonLad suffered a slight stroke.

We were both reasonable active, walking, cycling, certainly when compared to friends and relatives.

After discharge from hospital, and, with Doctors approval, Mrs BoldonLad set about regaining her fitness and well being, with my support.

We, use Runkeeper and a Garmin to track our cycling outing and walks. Because some of our relatives live out of the area, indeed, out of the country, I posted the activities to FB. This was intended to reassure absent family members that recovery was going well (which it was, and still is).

Several family members complained that we were "doing too much" (our target was 60 miles per week of walking/cycling, we were typically achieving 70-80 miles per week).

The activity level had Doctor's approval, indeed Doctor was positively enthusiastic at my wife's positive attitude, we resolved to ignore the "doom mongers". IMHO, it is THEY who have a health problem, not us.

The solution may be, as we did, to stop putting every activity on FB !

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's the ones who do little that I fear for

Same here. My dad used to be a keen runner but had to give it up after his hip replacement. He's never found an alternative (he bought a bike but doesn't ride it much because he's nervous on the roads) and his health has deteriorated noticeably in the last few years. It's actually quite upsetting.

Flyboy

I do far more than you , just keep going , if your tired rest . I never ride a Sunday when I am on an early start Monday (4.30 am) as I do feel it sometimes , but not always .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Perhaps better than posting your activities on Strava & FB you might be better posting your distance covered here with a cycling log ticker in your signature like many other forum users do.

Info on how to do this is HERE but it looks like this how-to info might need updating (@Shaun ) because the script looks different to what I have in my signature
upload_2017-11-10_9-53-42.png

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree with the above. 54, overweight, 1 minor heart-attack 12 years ago.
Whilst I don’t exercise as much as I would like too I can still set a reasonable pace on a club run and recently rode 220 miles in one hit without too much trouble. I loved parkeun but It finished my knees!

You shoukd have plenty capacity for exercise. Take your time warming-up and warming down. Don’t psh too hard wnd listen to your body.

Had ai not cycled and been fairly fit my heart attack might have proven fatal.

Regular exercise that doesn’t overstress your body is only good for you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Agree with the above. 54, overweight, 1 minor heart-attack 12 years ago.
Whilst I don’t exercise as much as I would like too I can still set a reasonable pace on a club run and recently rode 220 miles in one hit without too much trouble. I loved parkeun but It finished my knees!

You shoukd have plenty capacity for exercise. Take your time warming-up and warming down. Don’t psh too hard wnd listen to your body.

Had ai not cycled and been fairly fit my heart attack might have proven fatal.

Regular exercise that doesn’t overstress your body is only good for you.
But you do have terrible trouble typing with those fat fingers.... :tongue:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You are not doing too much. If your relatives do little themselves what you're doing probably seems crazy to them. I remember being asked by the waitress in one cafe how far we'd ridden - 'about 30 miles' - 'What! In one day' she replied. At 70 I'm struggling a bit at the moment - following hip replacement and now peripheral arterial disease, but if I hadn't kept up cycling I honestly believe I wouldn't still be around to to write this.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
2000 miles is not a lot, You need to push harder.:okay:
i am 65 this year i have done 5,376.3 miles so far this year. A few others on here do double that, just keep going while you are enjoying it.

Drago

Legendary Member
You're far from overdoing it. You're still young enough to have been a professional athlete and really caning things, and you're doing less mileage than many folk in their 50s and 60s do simply commuting.

Top Bottom