Family Think I Am Over Doing Exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
To stay healthy, the NHS recommended minimum hours of exercise per week is 2.5 hours.

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx

Perhaps raise a concern that you are seeing no indication of exercise from your relatives. Ask them how many hours per week exercise they are doing of moderate intensity.

I upped my training to 12-16 hrs hard work per week and peaked at 21 hrs. It was hard, it was exhausting...but 40hrs as a labourer on a building site is a weekly effort for some.

I don't think I'm built for office work, and my body suffers if it's not being used properly.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Could it be part of your families' perception based upon their own exercise regimes and lifestyles.
For example, I have seen surprise on the faces of a number of people when they ask about my commute (17 miles each way), let alone my weekend mileage which is less than many on here.
And as for riding at night, deliberately going out in the dark to enjoy yourself, well that to them is beyond comprehension.

CXRAndy

Guru
A few years ago I started cycling, like most a few miles at first then 10s 20s, before long I was cycling 50 miles. I then trained to do my first 100 mile sportive, then another. I got fitter, then had a injury setback, which took me 18 month to regain my previous fitness. Ive gone on from this through to multi day tours in Tenerife and Southern France climbing mountains, various sportives and training alot on my turbo. I now train alot and race indoors. I ride nearly every day upto 150 miles a week. I have lost nearly 4 stone in weight and have never been fitter. The upsides I have most of my family into cycling, wife and kids. My kids cycled with me from London to Paris this year and my wife can cycle 40+ miles in one go. My local friends think I'm weird, especially when I cycle nearly 20 miles for a fish supper .

If you enjoy it, keep doing it and sod everyone else. At your age you could become an excellent sportsman, if you want it.

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
We have no kids and myself and my wife work fulltime. My wife is fine with the fitness and cycling but she is not able to ride a bike with me due to health issues but I tend to go out when she has other plans.

Just deciding if to do my park run in the morning or a slow ride on the bike as I have lost all motivation this week...

Also found this picture that shows when I started cycling and then 12 months in at the start of Jan this year.

Attachments

• 19275284_10212835255217289_4029539719601415546_n.jpg
    19275284_10212835255217289_4029539719601415546_n.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 58

Tin Pot

Guru
We have no kids and myself and my wife work fulltime. My wife is fine with the fitness and cycling but she is not able to ride a bike with me due to health issues but I tend to go out when she has other plans.

Just deciding if to do my park run in the morning or a slow ride on the bike as I have lost all motivation this week...

Also found this picture that shows when I started cycling and then 12 months in at the start of Jan this year.

You can get cream for the facial acne.

Katherine

Guru
Well done to you @chrisb1357. I wouldn't change anything except what you post on fb as suggested above. Actually you can restrict what certain people see on fb. Make a group of those family members and then when you post anything select show to all except :that particular group.
Carry on enjoying being fit and healthy!

CXRAndy

Guru
Obviously you're over doing it with such a red face:laugh:. Great weight loss, keep it up:okay:. Nothing better than being able to do other tyres of physical work and not even break sweat. You should see my mates lifting the shopping from the car to the house-anybody would think they have just undertaken Britain strongest man event with all the puffing and blowing. I can run, well cycle circles around my kids in my fifties.:biggrin:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

The two images give the answer more graphically then all the words posted here. Anyone who questions you show them the pictures, nothing more to say.

Be proud of the achievement.

Top Bottom