Farewell, nice knowing you all.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I got one a few days ago. Well, I assume I did as I hung up before the recorded message had even completed saying “This is HMRC...”. Perhaps I am also now expecting a visit from enforcement officers? 😬

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I got one a few days ago. Well, I assume I did as I hung up before the recorded message had even completed saying “This is HMRC...”. Perhaps I am also now expecting a visit from enforcement officers? 😬
As I nearly did, but as I wasn't particularly busy at that very moment decided to let it run and see how convincing/awful/amusing it was.

D

Deleted member 26715

That's not a good idea. I've heard you get put through to a premium rate number costing £3.50 per minute and they are very good at keeping you talking.

This could be utter rubbish of course.
It is, it's technically impossible to do that

I got a HMRC you are being investigated for fraud call this morning from a tyneside number supposedly 0191 662 3434, not a person just a recording. So just hung up.
@annedonnelly I reported it on that webpage you mentioned.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I get 2 or 3 of these calls a week, along with calls from credit card companies looking to lower my interest rate and apology calls from the utility company for overcharging me. Since I’m not especially busy these days, I press whatever number they tell me to. I have yet to be charged for any of these calls. I also find it extremely interesting that no matter which call I am on, the person on the other end always has the same accent. I believe it is Pakistani because I was able to get one of them talking for quite a while and when I asked where he was, he said Pakistan. I get a kick out of finding ways to keep them on the phone for as long as I can. One of the most common comebacks I get from them is that last night he “f***ed my mother.” My comeback is “That’s interesting because my mother is dead. So, you like f***ing corpses?” They don’t know what to say, tell me to go f*** myself and hang up. They aren’t very original and it’s pretty easy to mess with them. And, it’s fun.
I too like to keep them on the phone, while they are entertaining me they are not scamming some unsuspecting victim, some of them are clueless and I get the impression they just follow a script, so you can baffle them with bullshit, I engaged the HMRC guy who's first question was, "what is your name" I don't think they will cancel my National Insurance number and prosecute me, if they don't know my name, after a while he gave some abusive comment and hung up. I will always waste their time, they don't have a problem wasting mine.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I too like to keep them on the phone, while they are entertaining me they are not scamming some unsuspecting victim, some of them are clueless and I get the impression they just follow a script, so you can baffle them with bullshit, I engaged the HMRC guy who's first question was, "what is your name" I don't think they will cancel my National Insurance number and prosecute me, if they don't know my name, after a while he gave some abusive comment and hung up. I will always waste their time, they don't have a problem wasting mine.

What is really funny is all of these Pakistani guys have super normal American names. Mark Smith. Steve Jones. I also ask them their name. When they give me a name that is clearly made up I offer them my name. I am Mahmoud. Almost every time the response is “What?”. I then say, “My name is Mahmoud Balabala.” Sometimes they will call me on it and I usually respond that my name is just as real as their’s.

Top Bottom